Dr. Janel Curry, 2nd Byker Chair holder, 2008
Purpose: The Byker Chair was named for former Michigan State Senator Gary Byker and his wife Henrietta, parents of current Calvin president Gaylen Byker. The Byker Chair's express purpose is to "provide a comprehensive, Reformed Christian approach to the ways in which human interactions and structures are shaped and influenced by the dynamics of creation, the fall, redemption and historical development."
See the news announcement...
Read Dr. Curry's bio
Read about the creation of the Gary and Henrietta Byker Chair
Read about the history of Chairs at Calvin
Byker Chair Reading Group
Reading list for 2009-2010:
Reason within the Bounds of Religion, Nicholas Wolterstoff.
The Gospel in a Pluralist Society, Lesslie Newbigin.
Wisdom Sits in Places, Keith Basso.
After Virtue, Alasdair MacIntyre.
The Byker Chair sponsored reading group has been discussing:
- A Model of Christian Charity Governor John Winthrop (1630 on board the Arbella)
- Decisive Issues Facing Christians Today, John Stott, chapters 1 & 2
- Decisive Issues Facing Christians Today, John Stott, chapters 3 & 4
- Lectures on Calvinism, "Calvinism and Politics"
- "The Puritans' Greatest Achievement...," Timothy Breen and Stephen Foster
- "Forcing the Spring," Robert Gottlieb: Urban and Industrial Roots: Seeking to Reform the System Chapter 2a, Chapter 2b. Professionalism and Institutionalism: the Mainstream Groups Chapter 4a, Chapter 4b. Grassroots and Direct Action: Alternative Movements Chapter 5a, Chapter 5b