303 Spoelhof Center
(Calvin login required)
- M.Ed., Calvin College, 2007
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2013
- Assistive technology
- Students with disabilities accessing the general education curriculum
- Content area literacy
- New literacies
Publications, Presentations, and Professional Services
- Struggling readers and online science websites: A study of at-risk readers online reading comprehension strategies Literacy Research Association. Marriott, Marco Island, FL. 12/04/2014
- Courtad, C.A, Englert, C.S., Mariage, T., Martin, N., Okolo, C., Sevensma, K., & Shankland, R. (2014). ACCELerating expository literacy in social studies. The Outlook: Learning Disabilities Association of Michigan, 47(3), 3-8. Peer reviewed.
- K. Sevensma (2014, March 7). Exploring text to speech readers for students with disabilities. (blog post) International Reading Association.
- Christian Higher Education Online International Christian Community for Teacher Education. Redeemer University College, Ancaster, Ontario. 05/29/2014
- Co-Facilitator of the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC): K-12 Teaching in the 21st Century. (2013, Sept. - Oct.)Offered for preservice through inservice teachers by Michigan Virtual University, MI.
- "New Literacies for the Net Generation: Reading Comprehension in the 21st Century," Council for Exceptional Children National Conference. Grand Hyatt, San Antonio, Texas. 04/05/2013
- Expanding conceptualizations of online reading comprehension to support at-risk readers International Society for Technology in Education. Grand Hyatt, San Antonio, Texas. 06/25/2013
- "Introduction to iPads in the elementary classroom," workshop. Grand Haven Christian School, Grand Haven, Michigan. 08/20/2013
- Attended the Council for Exceptional Children National Conference and specifically attend sessions related to international special education focusing on barriers and opportunities for special education students and teachers related to culture, race, and ethnicity.
- Co-leader of the How We Learn: Instructional Technology Learning Community. (Co-leaders: Herb Fynewever & Daniel Christian). The Instructional Technology Learning Community (ITLC) will explore the impact of instructional technology on pedagogy and student learning.
- Sevensma, K. (2013, April). New Literacies for the Net Generation: Reading Comprehension in the 21st Century. Council for Exceptional Children National Conference. San Antonio, TX.
- Sevensma, K. (2012, August). What’s New in Literacy for the 21st Century? Calvin
College Title II Professional Development Grant Conference. Grand Rapids, MI.
- Co-Leader of the How We Learn: Instructional Technology Learning Community. (2012, Fall). Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Sevensma, K., & Terpstra, M. (2012-2013). Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship Working Group Grant: Christian Higher Education Online. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Co-Presenter for the How We Learn Faculty Development Project: Theory- and Research-based Models of Learning and Teaching. (2012, March & May) Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Sevensma, K.C. (2011, April). Note Taking: The Intersection of Literacy
Strategies and Technology in Science Classrooms. Council for Exceptional Children National Conference. National Harbor, MD.
- Englert, C. S., Mariage, T. V., Morsink, P. Martin, N., Sevensma, K.,Fitzer, K., Okolo, C.
(2010, December). Implementing and Evaluating a Web-based Technology to Support Expository Reading and Writing Performance in Middle School. Literacy Research Association National Conference. Fort Worth, TX.