Professor of Education
311 Spoelhof Center
(Calvin login required)
- M.Phil., Institute for Chrisitian Studies, 1983
- M.Ed., University of Toronto, 1987
- Ph.D., University of Toronto, 1994
- Levinas and education
- Philosophy of science
- Phenomenology and 20th century French philosophy
- Epistemology and education
Recent Publications, Presentations, and Professional Services
- Member of the Program Committee (Gert Biesta, Chair), Philosophy of Education Society annual conference (San Francisco, CA) March 2010. Reviewed 15 full-length papers and 11 alternative-session proposals.
- Member of “Creation Care on the Home Front,” The Plaster Creek Working Group, Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship Grant, June 23-25, 2009
- Member of the Editorial Board of Christian Scholars Review
- Member of the Senate of the Institute for Christian Studies, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Chair of the session, “Corporealities,” with papers by Sheldon Hanlon (McMaster) “The Way of the Body in Levinas” and Jon Short (Wilfrid Laurier) “The Corporeal Beyond Relation,” at the North American Levinas Society Conference, University of Toronto (Toronto, ON), June 2009.
- Peer-reviewed book chapter: Joldersma, Clarence W. and Deakin Crick, Ruth. “Citizenship, Discourse Ethics and an Emancipatory Model of Lifelong Learning,” in Murphy, Mark & Fleming, Ted (editors), Habermas, Critical Theory and Education. London: Routledge, 2010.
- “Who is the teacher? Testimony, uniqueness and responsibility—Response to Lorraine Code’s “Particularity, Epistemic Responsibility, and the Ecological Imaginary,” invited response given at the Philosophy of Education Society annual conference (San Francisco, CA) March 2010.
- Joldersma, Clarence w. “Review of Kent Greenawalt, Does God Belong in Public Schools?” Studies in Philosophy and Education 28: 6 (2009) 581-687.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “Review of Benjamin Lazier’s God Interrupted: Heresy and European Imagination between the World Wars,” Perspectives 61:4 (2009) 268-269.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “Review of Lambert Zuidervaart’s Artistic Truth: Aesthetics, Discourse and Imaginative Disclosure” Journal of Education and Christian Belief 13:1(2009) 100-102.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “A Spirituality of the Desert for Education: The Call of Justice Beyond the Individual or Community,” Studies in Philosophy and Education 28:3 (2009) 193-208.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “How can science help us care for nature? Hermeneutics, fragility, and responsibility,” Educational Theory 59:4 (2009) 465-483.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “The Importance of Enjoyment and Inspiration for Learning from a Teacher: Levinas and pedagogy,” in Egéa-Kuehne, Denise (Editor), Levinas and Education: At the intersection of faith and reason. London: Routledge, 2008.
- Joldersma, Clarence W. “Beyond rational autonomy: Levinas and the incomparable worth of the student as singular other,” Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education 39:1 (2008) 21-47.
- Internal grant: Applying Levinas' scholarship in ethics to global environment concerns.
- Conference presentations/talks:
- Truth Matters Conference (co-sponsored by Calvin, ICS, VU, Dordt) Radical Constructivism and Truth as Disclosure
- 8th Ball State University/AASHE Greening of the Campus Conference, "Deepening Campus Sustainability Initiatives through Community Organizing: changing the conversation".
- North American Levinas Society Annual Conference, "An ethical Sinnegebung respectful of the non-human: il y a and the return to nature" .
- Calvin Parents’ Council fall conference, "Deepening Campus Sustainability Initiatives through Community Organizing: changing the conversation".