“Silent Observer is a non-profit organization supported by contributions from concerned individuals, local business and community organizations.” (www.silentobserver.org/about.asp)
It is a non-Calvin community based crime awareness organization.
Anonymously report a campus crime through Silent Observer
- Phone: (616) 774-2345
- Call Silent Observer with your information about a crime. The operator will not ask for your name.
- Give the operator as much information as you can.
- The operator will give you your confidential ID number.
- Text Message: TXT CRIMES (274637) include Keyword Tip138 in MSG
- The keyword TIP138 must appear on the first line of your text message in order to reach Silent Observer.
- You will then receive an automatic text message reply that will contain your confidential ID number.
- Silent Observer will be able to send text messages back to you without knowing your cell phone number to ask questions or gather more information.
- By Web: http://www.silentobserver.org
- Give as much information as you can.
- After submission you will receive your confidential ID number.
- Silent Observer will be able to write you back without knowing your email address.
What happens after I contact Silent Observer?
After two days call (616)454-9110, between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM , to see if your tip earned a reward. You will be asked the ID number of the tip, which is necessary to claim the reward.
If your tip leads to a confirmation of a student in violation of the law or to the solution of a crime, you will receive a $50 reward. If a weapon is recovered, the reward is $100.