As we get ready to welcome students back to campus, catch up with News and Stories about students, alumni and faculty. Read about:
- Calvin College named to Princeton Review's 'Best 378 Colleges' list.
- a walking tour app for Grand Rapids that alumni and students created
- the education professor that leads a literacy effort in Sierra Leone
- Calvin's Young Women's Business Institute for high school junior and seniors
- professors Adam Wolpa of art, Won Lee of religion, James K. A. Smith of philosophy and Maria Rodriguez of Spanish
And the "We Are Calvin" series continues, highlighting summer experiences of students here and abroad. Alicia Davis is interning for Southwest Airlines in Dallas. Charles Larson is at The Field Museum in Chicago.
Over the last three years, the Calvin women’s volleyball team has put together the most impressive stretch in program history. During that time, the Knights have compiled an overall won-loss record of 98-8 that includes a national title in 2010, a national runner-up finish in 2012 and three consecutive MIAA regular season crowns. Read the complete fall season preview.
Senior setter Megan Rietema kept this journal for a recent Costa Rica trip with fellow All-American volleyball players (DII and DIII) who were there competing and teaching clinics.
The team is opening their season in the Pacific Northwest at the end of this month. Read on to find out how you can cheer them on and help them out!
There are events being planned for alumni and friends of all ages and in all areas of the country. Join us! Find more information on the Calvin Alumni Association pages; new events are added often!
- Student Send-off Cleveland - August 18, 2013
- Goose Island/Cubs in Chicago - August 21, 2013
- Volleyball team in Pacific NW - August 30, 2013 (Housing needed!)
- Streetfest International - September 2013
- 44th Annual Golf Tournament - September 7, 2013: OPEN TO ALL!
- Pres. Le Roy in Kazoo - September 10, 2013
- Prodigal Son art event in DC - September 13, 2013
- Bike 'n Brew in Colorado - September 14, 2013
- Pres. Le Roy and Tigers - September 18, 2013
- Nursing Reunion | Class Reunions - October 18 & 19, 2013
- Homecoming/Family Weekend - October 18–20, 2013
- Calvin in Chicago Career Fair - October 29, 2013
- GEO Reunion - November 15 & 16, 2013
Read on for more opportunities...
If you were interested in traveling with the alumni association, find out more about Alumni Travel and the new trips added for 2014: New England Saints and Cuba, to name just two!
The Calvin Alumni Association's travel program, which is co-sponsored by the Calvin Academy of Lifelong Learning (CALL), is open to Calvin alumni and any friends who wish to join the group. Read on to find out more about CALL.
CYWBI from CCIB
Seventeen girls came to Calvin for the second Calvin Young Women’s Business Institute July 17-19. Offered through the Calvin Center for Innovation in Business, this institute gives high school junior and senior girls the chance to explore careers in business and connect with area businesswomen.
The Calvin Academy for Lifelong Learning is for men and women who wish for lifelong learning. Membership has its rewards! Find out more about CALL.
This Square Inch
Are you receiving "This Square Inch," a newsletter from Calvin President Michael K. Le Roy? If you'd like to be subscribed to this newsletter, which will come out 10 times per year, go to this subscription page. Be sure to "Like" him on the President Michael Le Roy Facebook fan page to see what else he's up to after his first year on the job!
Every Calvin alumna, alumnus, parent, faculty and staff member and current student knows a high school senior who would benefit from Calvin’s “heart and mind” education. So, think about who your "one" could be and how you might connect with them this year to personally encourage them to consider Calvin.
Know one? See Admissions about visiting campus to give Calvin a test drive. Here are a few special dates coming up:
- September 27 (Health Sciences visit day & WI ferry trip)
- October 4 (Psychology visit day), 11, 18, 25
- November 1 (Engineering, Computing or Physics visit day), 8 (Communication Arts and Sciences visit day), 15, 22