For non-Canadian international students
Test results are considered in addition to your grades from high school. Information about your country's grading system will be considered when we assess your transcript. We will usually consult with you and the Educational Advising Center nearest your home if there is a need for clarification.
ACT/SAT, TOEFL and IELTS
Calvin College requires the SAT or ACT for international applicants where such a test requirement is appropriate to their situation. Applicants who are in any one of the following settings are required to include the ACT or SAT as part of their admissions application materials:
- will have graduated from a high school in the United States
- will have graduated from an international school that follows a U.S. high school curriculum
- will have graduated from an international school where English is the primary language of instruction
- will be transferring from another U.S. college or university where s/he has earned less than one year of credit
- have attended a Canadian high school and have cumulative average marks from grades 9-12 below 75%
Scores submitted to Calvin must be original or certified copies.
Minimum scores for TOEFL and IELTS tests
- The minimum TOEFL score for regular admission is 550 (213 on the computerized version or 80 on the internet-based test)
- The TOEFL code number for Calvin is 1095
- The IELTS results are also accepted by the College with a minimum score of 6.5
Students with a lower score on either test may be admitted with a provision for further intensive language training. Scores submitted to Calvin must be original or certified copies.
SAT and ACT test standards
College entrance exam minimum scores
|ACT (#1968)||SAT (#1095)|
|The writing sections of the ACT and SAT are not required.|
Several scholarships that are available to international students are based upon results from the SAT or ACT test. Any international student who may be eligible for academic scholarships is encouraged to take one of these exams even though it may not be required for admissions purposes.
International applicants who live outside of North America and who are not required to submit an SAT or ACT must submit the TOEFL, IELTS or other documentation of English language proficiency (such as completion of an approved ELS program).
In addition to the above requirements, students are required to submit their official national/international exam results (e.g. WASSCE, IGCSE, etc.). Students from West Africa may send their registration and passwords to email@example.com so that we can access your scores directly via the website.
We strongly encourage all students to consult their local EducationUSA advising center as they begin the application process, as they can provide valuable advice about testing, financial aid and immigration issues.
Calvin will give some credit for those who receive a grade 5 or higher in advanced classes within the international baccalaureate program, but does not offer credit for subsidiary-level classes.
At the time of admission, first-year students may submit scores from an Advanced Placement (AP) Examination conducted by the College Board. While the minimum acceptable score is 3 or 4 depending on the test, the amount of credit awarded for higher scores varies. Students may not receive both AP credit and a high school exemption for the same core requirement. See our Academic Services advanced placement page for more information.