How to Apply for a Major Grant
Read the CCCS Constitution
All application documents must be uploaded in PDF format.
Meet with CCCS Director no later than September 10
The Governing Board encourages colleagues to meet with the director of the Calvin Center, Professor Susan Felch, as they develop their vision for each Major Grant.
Faculty are also encouraged to discuss their plans with their Department Chair.
- A Calvin College colleague
- A non-Calvin College colleague
- A colleague of your choice
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that reference letters are emailed to the Calvin Center in PDF format by October 1. Referees should not include current members of the Governing Board in order to maintain objectivity in the review process. Letters should be addressed to the Governing Board and be sent to:
Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship
3-6 Page Project Proposal in PDF format
The project proposal should describe, for non-specialists, the following:
- The problem, question, or issue the proposed project will address
- The means by which the project will address the problem and the methodology that will be employed
- The product(s) that are anticipated, including a descriptive outline of proposed book chapters or articles, if relevant
- The audience(s) that will be targeted, and the means of dissemination that are anticipated
- The relation of the project to the purposes and goals of the Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship (please see the Christian Scholarship at Calvin College document), its significance for intentional Christian scholarship, and its timeliness
- The participants who will be involved, their specific roles and responsibilities, and their qualifications for this particular project
2-3 Page Project Bibliography in PDF format
Timeline for the Project in PDF format
Budget for the Project in PDF format
- Sample budget items
- Include details of other grants or monies sought for this project
Curriculum Vitae for all participants in PDF format
Faculty planning research with human subjects
Faculty involved in the planning of research that involves human subjects in any way, from interviews or questionnaires to medical procedures with living persons or bodily substances, must submit a research proposal to the current chair of the Institutional Review Board (IRB). The board is mandated by governmental agencies to review and approve research with human subjects using one of the following processes:
- Provide an exemption
- Conduct an expedited review approval or
- Approve the project after full review
As a small board which meets regularly, the IRB is committed to facilitate the advancement of faculty research programs as quickly and easily as possible. Applicants must have applied for IRB approval by October 1 and must certify IRB approval before receiving CCCS monies. Please consult the IRB page for further instructions if your research involves human subjects.
Complete the online application, uploading all documents in PDF format by October 1.
Obligations After Receiving a CCCS Major Grant
- The grantee must email an annual progress report to the Program Coordinator by April 15.
- All publications that result from the CCCS Major Grant should acknowledge the support of the Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship for the project.
- October 1 at 5:00 PM
- For more information, please, contact the Program Coordinator, Dale Williams.