Professor Dykstra-Pruim graduated from Calvin College with a BA in German. She then studied at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she earned her MA in German literature, a certificate in ESL, and a PhD in German-English applied linguistics.
- Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, Calvin College (2015–present)
- Associate Professor, Calvin College (2010–present)
- Series Editor for Yale University Press (2013–present)
- Cultural Intelligence Consultant for the Christian Reformed Church in North America, Office of Race Relations (2011–present)
- Workshop facilitator and trainer for Cultural Intelligence Building (2010–present)
- Assistant Professor, Calvin College (2005–10)
- Researcher and developer, Evia Learning (1998–2007)
- Lecturer and TA director, Brown University (1995–98)
- Teaching Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1989–94)
- Intercultural learning
- Foreign language pedagogy
- Cultural Intelligence Building
Favorite courses to teach
- German 201: Intermediate German
- German 361: Advanced Writing in Cultural Context
- German 362: Culture and Language through Performed Text
- German 302: German Cultures and Intercultural Studies
- Penny has been nationally recognized for Excellence in the Teaching of Culture receiving the ACTFL Nelson Brooks Award in 2013.
- She enjoys cooking, knitting, spending time with her family, exploring new cultures, and learning from people’s stories.
- She and her husband, Randall J. Pruim, a professor of mathematics at Calvin College, have three children.
- Course code:
- CQ for Community Building. Forthcoming
- Christians and Cultural Difference (with David I. Smith). Grand Rapids: Calvin College Press, forthcoming.
- “New Media Texte für die Millenials im DaF Unterricht” (with Rachel Halverson). Unterrichtspraxis. Teaching German 48, no. 2 (October 2015).
- Schreiben lernen: A Writing Guide for Learners of German (with Jennifer Redmann). New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2012.
- Coauthor, Auf geht’s! and Weiter geht’s!, nationally distributed German curricula in use at 100 institutions nationwide.
- “Getting Outside the Box.” Nuevo Impact (April 2013).
- “Exploring Cultural Intelligence." Web seminar for the CRCNA, 2013.
- Off-campus programs:
- Course code: