Preparing for College
Although medical and dental schools will not review your high school grades, ACT or SAT scores, your performance may determine how prepared you are for college courses and your eligibility for scholarships.
Advanced Placement (AP) credit scores will determine the college credit earned, if any. More importantly than getting credit for earning an exemption from a science course is whether or not you have learned the material! Please remember that not all medical schools accept AP credit for required courses.
Summer before Year 1
- Attend one of the four Passport sessions.
- Attend the Pre-Med/Dent meeting on the afternoon of the first day of Passport.
- Meet the Pre-Med/Dent advisor and receive an overview of Calvin’s Pre-Med/Dent program.
- Consult and perhaps purchase excellent references such as “Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) (www.aamc.org/publications) or Official Guide to Dental Schools (www.adea.org).
- Explore web sites for various medical dental schools. Pre-Meds may consider accessing Michigan State University College of Human Medicine’s “Premedical Handbook and Self-Assessment Guide”.