2015 Scholarship Timeline
For Incoming Freshman Students
- February 1: Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) scholarship applications are due
- February 15: The Kurt Frisch Family Scholarship for incoming freshman applications are due
- Late March: Recipients are notified
For Current Students
- February 1: Applications are available
- March 1: Applications are due
- May 1: Recipients are notified
Scholarship amount for 2015-2016 will be published as soon as the department is informed.
The Kurt Frisch Family Scholarship
This scholarship honors Dr. Kurt Frisch (1918-2000). Dr. Frisch did his undergraduate work at the University of Vienna, Austria. Expelled from the University for having a Jewish background, he was part of the underground resistance and escaped through Germany. He earned his Masters and Ph.D. from Columbia and worked at Wyandotte Chemical as Director of Polymer Research and Development until 1965. He finished his expert career at the University of Detroit, establishing and directing the Polymer Institute there. Dr. Frisch had over 70 U.S. patents and nearly 300 publications. Two of his three children studied at Calvin College. The Frisch Foundation supports students pursuing a career in polymer chemistry in gratitude for the scholarships and good Christian examples of the professors his sons experienced during their time at Calvin College.
The scholarship is expected to award a $4,000 scholarship for 2014-2015.
- Entering freshman beginning Fall 2014
- Planning to major in chemistry
- Minimum GPA of 3.8 or higher
- Scholarship is automatically renewable for the sophomore year if the student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Financial need is not required, but there should be some evidence that the scholarship is needed to help meet educational expenses