Taking the world language assessment
Calvin College is pleased to offer you the opportunity to take several of our language placement assessments on line. These tests are designed to help you determine what sequence of language classes would be best to take.
These are not exemption tests, therefore you cannot use them to "test out" of a language. Your placement score will have no impact on your grade point average at Calvin.
Please resist the temptation to use any outside resources to help you with the test. The sole purpose of this placement test is to place you accurately in the class in which you are most likely to succeed, and an artificially inflated score is likely to have a negative impact on your performance in class. If you are concerned that you have been placed incorrectly or have any other questions, you should feel free to contact someone in the appropriate language department. We can adjust your placement if it seems appropriate.
The placement assessments generally take between twenty and twenty-five minutes.
Please review all instructions and then begin the assessment».
- Follow the assessment link.
- From the drop-down menu, pick the appropriate language (French, German, or Spanish). Students interested in other languages offered at Calvin College (Chinese, Dutch, Greek, Japanese, Latin, etc.) do not need to take a placement test).
- Click “begin”
- Fill out the required information fields and click continue at the bottom of the page.
- The test begins with a sample question.
- For Spanish: Click on “c” and submit answer.
- For French: Click on “b” and submit answer.
- Sometimes the student may need to scroll down to find “submit answer.”
- If you are interested in studying multiple languages, you may go back to the beginning and complete another language placement assessment.
- You must complete the test for a score to be given. Every now and then the test doesn't work properly and you may get a score of zero. If this happens, please just retake the test.
- For Spanish language assessment specifically: The test will stop, somewhat suddenly, once it has figured out your level. A Spanish Placement Exam Report will appear with the your total points.
- For French language assessment specifically: The test will stop, somewhat suddenly, once it has figured out the student’s level. A French Placement Exam Report will appear with the student’s total points. This report will not be official because French language students will also need to complete brief essay during their Passport session. This will only take approximately 20 minutes to complete and will give you a chance to meet with the department chair.
Begin the assessment». You will see the Calvin College logo and Calvin College Placement Exam.