Elizabeth Vander Lei, Professor, English
Professor Vander Lei graduated from Calvin College with a degree in English in 1985. She then attended Arizona State University, where she received an MA in English as a second language in 1987 and a PhD in rhetoric and composition in 1995.
- The rhetoric of Martin Luther King
- Negotiating faith in the classroom
- Writing across the disciplines
Professor Vander Lei is the director of the Written Rhetoric program, a part of Calvin's core curriculum. Professor Vander Lei recently edited a book entitled Renovating Rhetoric in Christian Tradition (with Tom Amorose, Beth Daniel, and Anne Gere from the University of Pittsburgh Press, 2014) and co-authored a text book, Real Texts: Reading and Writing Across the Disciplines with Dean Ward (New York: Pearson Longman, 2008, 2011).
- Baking cookies for her four kids
- Taking her Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Kevin on walks
- Traveling with her spouse
- Thomas Lynch's creative non-fiction—"Bodies in Motion and at Rest" and "The Undertaking"
- All of Annie Dillard's non-fiction
- Stanley Wiersma's poetry in Purpaleanie and Other Permutations and Style and Class