Improve your ACT score
Each semester, up to 40 students from designated high schools (see below) may participate in a five-week session in which Calvin students provide ACT* mentoring and tutoring assistance.
The Excel ACT Tutoring and Mentoring Program, coordinated by the offices of pre-college programs and the Service-Learning Center at Calvin College, is available to high school students from the following public school districts: Grand Rapids (Central Campus, Ottawa Hills and Union), Wyoming, Godfrey-Lee, Kentwood, and Potter's House Christian. If all 40 vacancies are not filled, students from districts other than those listed are then allowed to enroll into the program. So, we encourage all to apply.
Students are also able to participate in additional academic enrichment and other activities offered by the college, such as Aspirando Alto and the MLK Young Leaders Weekend.
Dates, time and location
- ACT Pre-Test - Saturday, October 10, 8 a.m.–12 noon. Located in the DeVos Communication Center, room 150. (Mandatory.)
- Orientation Dinner - Tuesday, October 13, 6 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Located at the Prince Conference Center in the Great Hall West Room. (Mandatory.) Families welcome.
- Tutoring/Mentoring - October 20–November 19, 2015, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4–5 p.m.
- Optional tutoring time from 5–5:30 p.m. is available if both tutor and student are willing and available.
- ACT Post Test - Saturday, November 21, 8 a.m.–12 noon. Located in the DeVos Communication Center, room 150. (Mandatory.)
- Celebration Dinner - Monday, November 21, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Located at the Prince Conference Center in the Great Hall West Room. Families welcome.
The enrollment fee of $40.00 is due on Thursday, October 9 by the end of the business day (5:00 p.m.)for those students who are admitted.
There has been discussions about the State of Michigan changing the requirement from the ACT to the SAT. As of now, we will remain an ACT prep program until further notice. Updates coming soon.
Areas of study
Time is dedicated to covering specific subject matters included on the ACT:
At the end of each five-week session, the pairs and triads (in addition to the pre-college students’ parents) will be honored through a celebration.