- About uniFLOW at Calvin
- List of available printers
- Student worker printing access
- How to send a job to a printer
- How to release a job to a printer
- How to fax or scan
- When to call Applied Imaging and when to call the HelpDesk
History of the project
CIT began upgrading the copy and multifunction devices throughout the campus during the summer of 2014. The lease on the previous printing devices expired and they need to be returned and replaced.
In replacing these devices, we will make printing a consistent experience across campus, increase the availability of printing options, and reduce cost for the college.
In the spring of 2013, we began the search for a partner to help us manage the selection of new equipment, advise on best practices, and provide modern printing technology. We chose Applied Imaging of Grand Rapids, a well respected company in the office machine business, but also a company with deep interest in Calvin College.
As a result of this project, any Calvin community member can print to any campus printing device by swiping their ID card or using a PIN number; thereby making print options more convenient as well as providing "on demand" access for last minute print needs.
Calvin College faculty, staff, and students currently copy and print one million pages a month. The new system provides clear reports and metrics for each user about their printing. This empowers every Calvin community member to make more sustainable choices and offers cost savings for the college.
Goals & benefits
- Make printing a consistent experience across campus
- Bring laser, MFD and production fleet under single comprehensive management plan
- Put the right devices in the right locations
- Enable campus-wide printing from mobile devices
- Reduce printing costs across campus
- Increase available scanning and color printing options
- Increase options for student printing (ex. duplex printing, MFD access, etc)
- Maintain high customer service
- Provide reports and metrics to budget officers and device manager
As part of this project, we are also reviewing our current chargeback model. A new model will be rolled out as part of this project, sometime in the coming months. The goals of the new chargeback model are:
- Cost recovery neutral
- Easy to understand
- Encourage cost savings by using least costly devices & reducing # of devices
- User-based rather than device-based charge-backs
- All costs included in charge-back (device acquisition cost, support and services, toner, plain white paper and staples)
Aug. 22 - We have completed the chargeback model proposal and it being submitted for approval. Once the proposal has been approved by all the necessary people, we will communicate the changes.
Please always consider using Printing Services for your high volume or customized printing needs! Printing Services is available to assist with your project and offers competitive pricing. Visit the Printing Services website for more information.
Comments or concerns?
Your feedback is important to us! Please contact the HelpDesk if you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding printing at Calvin. If the issue cannot be resolved by the HelpDesk, it will be escalated to the appropriate member of our print team.