Desktop Services: Caring for your Laptop Computer
Basic Laptop Care
- Do not leave your laptop for any amount of time in extreme heat or cold.
- Every 4-6 months, allow the battery to drain entirely. Then, charge the battery in full. This cycle prolongs battery life.
- Lock the laptop to an immovable object when it is out of your sight.
Clean LCD Monitor
- If your screen is dusty, use a clean, soft, lint-free cloth to wipe it gently. Do not use a paper towel, as it may scratch the screen's surface.
- If your screen needs more than a dry wipe, use a solution that is 50% water, 50% isopropyl alcohol with a soft, lint-free cloth. Alternatively, you may use cleaners that specifically state they can be used with LCD monitors. Solutions are available in the Corporate Express catalog or at almost any office supply store.
- Always moisten the cloth first and then wipe the LCD in one motion, from top to bottom.
Clean Keyboard and Mouse
- Use compressed air to blow out any dust or debris from your keyboard.
- If you need to clean your mouse, first unplug the mouse from your computer. Then turn over the mouse and clean off any debris stuck to the bottom. Next, clean the surface area on which your mouse moves.
- Do NOT use cleaners, such as Windex, that contain ethyl alcohol, ammonia, acetone, ethyl acid or methyl chloride to clean your LCD/flat-panel monitor.
- Do NOT spray cleaners directly on the display.
- Do NOT touch or press the LCD screen with your fingers or any other objects.
- Do NOT spill on your laptop. If you do, immediately shut down and unplug your computer. Then, contact the HelpDesk at email@example.com or 6-8555.