International Society for the Study of Reformed Communities
The University of America Press published proceedings from both the 1994 and 1997 conferences in edited volumes with the financial and technical assistance of the Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship, Calvin College. Citations for each volume and their tables of contents are given below.
Dekker, Gerard, Donald Luidens, and Rodger Rice (eds.). 1997. Rethinking Secularization: Reformed Reactions to Modernity. New York. University Press of America.
Table of Contents:
"Introduction: Setting the Stage"
Gerard Dekker, Donald Luidens, and Rodger Rice
Section I: Looking Backward
1. "Modernity and the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands: Bargaining
Section II:Strangers in Strange Lands
6. "Strangers in Their Own Land: Calvinists in an Arminian Culture"
Section III:Living With Modernity
11. "Three Orientations within the Reformed Protestant Churches
of the Netherlands"
Section IV:Looking Forward
"Conclusion: A Resounding Gong or a Tinkling Bell?"
Luidens, Donald, Corwin Smidt, and Hijme Stoffles (eds.). 1998. Reformed Vitality: Continuity and Change in the Face of Modernity. New York. University Press of America.
Table of contents:
1. "Reformed Vitality in the Face of Modernity"
Section 1: Models of Continuity
2. "Worldview and Agriculture: A Study of Two Reformed Communities
Section 2:Models of Change
6. "From Sturdy Calvinism to Spiritual Seekership: The Transformation
of Religiosity in the Reformed Church in the Netherlands"
Hendriks, H. Jurgens, Donald Luidens, Roger Nemeth, Corwin Smidt, and Hijme Stoffels (eds.). 2001. Reformed Encounters with Modernity: Perspectives from Three Continents. Print24.com, South Africa.
Table of contents:
Forward and Acknowledgements
Section 1: The African Continent
1. "An African Response to Modernity"
2. "The Role of Christianity and African Religions in the Construction
of a Namibian Identity"
3. "The Uniting Reformed Church in Mariental: Its Plight and Role
in a Rural Society"
4. "The Challenges that Face Reformed Christianity in Malawian
5. "The Reformed Community in Malawi: Legalism in the Nkhoma Synod"
6. "The Rapid Growth of the Reformed Church in Mozambique"
7. "The School Project of the Reformed Church of Mozambique"
8. "Resource Development and Women in Leadership Positions in the
Reformed Church of Zimbabwe"
9. "A Reformed Perspective on Development in Africa: A Personal
10. "Doing Missional Theology in an African Context"
Section 2: The American Continent
11. "Conflict and Change in the Reformed Church in America Since
12. "Burn the Wooden Shoes: Modernity and Division in the Christian
Reformed Church in North America"
13. "The Disintegration of a Sexual Harassment Case"
14. "What is Normal in the Presbyterian Church (USA)?
15. "Fragmentation and Dispersion: Postmodernity Hits the RCA"
16. "Oceans Apart? Theology and Politics Among Reformed Clergy
in the United States and Scotland"
Section 3: The European Continent
17. "Is Reformed Belief Possible in a Post-Modern Society"
18. "You Can't Force 'em: Patterns of Commitment in the Dutch Reformed
Church and the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands"
19. "Pietistic Calvinists and Modernity"
About the Contributors
Last Updated: November 21, 2008