- Spanish Department Chair 2004-2008
- Director of Spanish off-Campus Programs in Honduras, Mexico (Yucatan), Spain, and Peru
Middle Eastern, Spanish, Mayan, and Peruvian archaeology, traveling, camping, hiking, language learning, skiing, swimming, piano, guitar
Spanish-speaking countries visited
All, except Equatorial Guinea, Colombia, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Paraguay
Her husband is a Middle Eastern archaeologist, and her family has participated in excavations in Israel and Jordan. She has seven grandchildren.
- BA Calvin College 1971
- MA (Romance Linguistics) University of Michigan 1974
- PhD (Spanish) Michigan State University 1990
- Pronoun usage in Central America
- Sephardic Spanish
- Phoenician colonization of Spain
- Hispanic immigration to the U.S.
- Cuban refugees in the U.S.