Dr. Hoogewerf enjoys teaching courses in several programs. She teaches Cell Biology & Genetics and Microbiology in the Biology program, Nutrition in the Health Education Program, and Epidemiology in the Public Health Program. She has a long time interest in preventative health and the courses she teaches in all of these programs are connected to this interest. She is currently the chair of the Biology Department and Co-Director of the Public Health Program.
- BIOL-141 - Cell Biology and Genetics for Health Sci
- BIOL-141L - Cell Biology and Genetics Lab
- BIOL-207 - Medical Microbiology
- HE-254 - Nutrition
- PUBH-248 - Epidemiology
- Course code:
- B.S., 1986, Calvin College. Major: Biology, Minor: Chemistry.
- Ph.D., 1991, Cornell University, Nutritional Biochemistry.
- UpJohn Company, Kalamazoo, MI. Post-doctoral researcher in the Cancer and Infectious Diseases Unit, 1991-1994
- Glaxo Pharamceutical Company, Geneva, Switzerland, Post-doctoral researcher with the Chemokine Project team, 1994-1997
- Midland Certified Reagent Company, Midland, TX. Director of Catalog Products Division, 1997-2000
- Professor, Department of Biology, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI, 2000-present
- Assessing and analyzing nutrition environments
- bacterial communities called biofilms
- heavy metal resistance in bacteria
- public heatlh
Research and scholarship
Dr. Bebej's current research focuses on the transition from foot-powered to tail-powered swimming in the earliest fossil cetaceans.
- Hoogewerf, A.J., Van Dyk, L.A., Buit, T.S., Roukema, D., Resseguie, E., Plaisier, C., Le, N., Heeringa, L., and Vander Griend, D.A. Functional characterization of a cadmium resistance operon in Staphylococcus aureus ATCC12600: CadC does not function as a repressor. J. Basic Microbiol. 54:1-12, 2014.
- Leung, W…..RJ DeJong…..A Hoogewerf,…..et al. Drosophila Muller F elements maintain a distinct set of genomic properties over 40 million years of evolution. Submitted to Genetics. Sept. 2014.
- Lopatto D,…RJ DeJong,…A Hoogewerf,...et.al. A central support system can facilitate implementation and sustainability of a classroom-based undergraduate research experience (CURE) in genomics. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 13:1-13, 2014. DOI: 10.1187/cbe-13-10-0200
- Shaffer, CD,…RJ DeJong,…A Hoogewerf,…et.al. A course-based research experience: how benefits change with increased investment in instructional time. CBE Life Sciences Education, 13:111-130, 2014.
- McLaughlin, R.A., and Hoogewerf, A. J. Interleukin-1beta-Induced Growth Enhancement of Staphylococcus aureus Occurs in Biofilm but not Planktonic Cultures. Microbial Pathogenesis. 41:67-79, 2006.
- June 2005 Book: Transforming Care: A Christian Vision of Nursing Practice. Edited by: Mary Molewyk Doornbos, Ruth E. Groenhout, and Kendra G. Hotz. With contributing authors: Cheryl Brandsen, Bart Cusveller, Mary Flikkema, Arlene Hoogewerf, Clarence Joldersma, and Barbara Timmermans. ( Grand Rapids , MI : Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2005).
- Yolande Chvatchko, Arlene J. Hoogewerf, Alexandra Meyer, Sami Alouani, Pierre Juillard, Raphael Buser, Francois Conquet, Amanda E. I. Proudfoot, Timothy N. C. Wells and Christine A. Power, A key role for CCR4 in lipopolysaccharide-induced endotoxic shock, J. Exp. Med ., 191, 1755-1764, (2000).
- Course code: