Dr. Shen is a member of the Madison Square Christian Reformed Church, the Grand Rapids Chinese Christian church, and the Chinese Christian Church of Baltimore. She enjoys music and worship, photography, and playing volleyball.
- B. S., Drexel University, 1998
- Ph.D., John Hopkins University, 2004
- Research Assistant, SmithKline Beechem Pharmaceuticals, 1994-1995
- Research Intern, McNeil Consumer Product Company, 1995-1996
- Post-doctoral fellow, Johns Hopkins University 2004-2005
- Adjunct professor of biology, Washington Bible College, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Calvin College, 2005-2011
- Associate Professor, Calvin college, 2011-present
- Course code:
Research and Professional Interests
- HIV biology
- T cell immunology
- Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Yin J, Dai A, Shen A, Lecureux J, Lewis MG, Boyer JD, 2010 “Viral reservoir is suppressed but not eliminated by CD8 vaccine specific lymphocytes.” Vaccine 28(8):1924-31.
- Yang HC, Xing S, Shan L, O’Connell K, Dinoso J, Shen A, Zhou Y, Shrum CK, Han Y, Liu JO, Zhang H,
Margolick JB, and Siliciano RF, 2009"A Primary Cell Model of HIV Latency Identifies Compounds that Reverse Latency without Cellular Activation" Journal of Clinical Investigation 119(11):3473-86
- Yin J, Dai A, Kutzler MA, Shen A, Lecureux J, Lewis MG, Waldmann T, Weiner DB, Boyer JD. 2008 “Sustained suppression of SHIV89.6P replication in macaques by vaccine-induced CD8+ memory T cells” AIDS. 22(14):1739-48.
- Halwani R, Boyer JD, Yassine-Diab B, Haddad EK, Robinson TM, Kumar S, Parkinson R, Wu L, Sidhu MK, Phillipson-Weiner R, Pavlakis GN, Felber BK, Lewis MG, Shen A, Siliciano RF, Weiner DB, Sekaly RP. 2008 “Therapeutic vaccination with simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV)-DNA+IL-12 or IL-15 induces distinct CD8 memory subsets in SIV-infected macaques.” Journal of Immunology. 180(12):7969-79.