Orientation: getting started
Congratulations on your new position, and welcome to Calvin College! We are excited to have you join our team. All new employees will have an orientation meeting with human resources to discuss your benefit options and introduce you to Calvin College. To further orient you to Calvin, the human resources office facilitates a session of New Staff Orientation (NSO) in the fall and in the spring. In addition, you will have the opportunity to pair up with a mentor through the Guide staff mentoring program. Together, we'll take the right steps to insure your smooth transition into the Calvin workplace. If there is more we can do to make your transition go smoothly, please contact human resources.
In your first week at Calvin, you will meet with a human resrouces staff member. In this meeting you will review the benefits for which you are eligible and learn how to enroll. Additionally, we will give you a brief introduction to Calvin and provide you with information about our available resources. We will contact your supervisor prior to your first day to set up this meeting.
Faculty/Staff ID cardTop
Your Faculty/Staff ID card has a myriad of uses around campus including:
- Checking out library books
- Spoelhof Fieldhouse access
- Free entry to most sporting events
- Free or discounted tickets to concerts or theater productions
- Use as a debit card at food locations on campus.
- Card access entry to some buildings
- A 15% discount at the campus store on all non-textbook and non-food items
New staff orientation
New Staff Orientation (NSO) is an orientation session for new staff. It is designed to introduce or reacquaint staff members with the institutional identity and mission of the college. The sessions are also designed to give new employees ample opportunities to connect, learn and grow here at Calvin. Presenters from across the campus will spend time with new staff talking about various offices, policies and procedures for getting things done at Calvin. Visit the most current NSO schedule. For more information about NSO, contact human resources.
Guide staff mentoring
The Guide staff mentoring program works to assist new staff to navigate Calvin. The ABCs of the Guide program are:
- Acclimate - helps mentee learn the culture of Calvin and/or West Michigan
- Brainstorm - provides an outlet for the mentee to share ideas and express concerns
- Connect - helps mentee discover tools and resources for performing job well
Human resources pairs interested individuals up and facilitates the Guide experience. If you have additional questions about Guide, please contact human resources.