Grains of Hope: Refugee Experiences in West Michigan
A new ethnographic play by Stephanie L. Sandberg and Calvin College students
Imagine being forced to leave your home, fleeing to seek shelter in a country you hardly know. Imagine having to learn a new language, a new system of transportation, and an entirely new culture…all while knowing that it is likely you will never see your family or your home again...
Coming April-May 2013
April 11, 7:30 PM, Calvin College Lab Theater
April 12, 2:00 PM & 7:30 PM, Calvin College Lab Theater, in conjunction with the Festival of Faith and Music
April 14, 6:00 PM, Thornapple Covenant Church
April 16, 7:00 PM Potter’s House School
April 18, 7:00 PM, Grand Rapids Public Museum
April 21, 7:00 PM, South Wyoming United Methodist Church, sponsored by THRIVE
April 26, 7:00 PM, Godwin Heights High School, sponsored by Stand Against Racism
April 28, 10:00 AM, Grand Rapids International Fellowship
April 30, 7:00 PM, Inner City Christian Federation, sponsored by Lutheran Social Services. Please note: This performance is a fundraiser for Lutheran Social Services. To purchase a ticket for this event, please visit: http://lssmrefugeeservices.blogspot.com/2013/03/grains-of-hope-tickets.html
May 5, 6:00 PM Church of the Servant
May 8, 7:00 PM, Wealthy Theatre, sponsored by Bethany Christian Services
May 9, 7:00 PM Wealthy Theatre, sponsored by Mars Hill Church
(in conjunction with the Bethany Christian Services and the Calvin Festival of Faith & Music)
Did you know that....
- A “refugee” is a person who flees their home country due to a “well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.
- There are 16 million refugees worldwide
- The refugee journey consists of two parts: (1) fleeing from their homeland and resettling in a refugee camp and (2) being resettled into a new host country
- Fewer than 1% of refugees in camps are moved and resettled into a new country
- Around 600 refugees arrive in Grand Rapids each year
- 40% of them suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder