Calvin College is pleased to offer six $2,500 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholarships to incoming first-year students who are interested in studying one of the basic sciences or mathematics at Calvin and have plans to pursue a career in research or post-secondary education.
Download application (PDF) »
Who should fill out this application?
Eligible candidates must be admitted first-year students to Calvin College for the fall of 2014 and meet the following requirements for the award:
- Be admitted to Calvin by February 1, 2014.
- Intend to major in biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics or mathematics*
- Intend to pursue a career in research and/or post-secondary education in biology or one of the related disciplines of chemistry, biochemistry, physics, or mathematics
- Have an overall high school GPA of at least 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale); Canadians must have average marks of 80% and above
- Have an ACT composite score of at least 30 or an SAT combined score of at least 1300
- Have grades of B or higher in high school science classes
*The scholarship is awarded based entirely on academic merit, not on financial need. Students in professional programs such as pre-medicine, nursing or engineering are not eligible for this scholarship.
A student may receive a scholarship for a maximum of four years; scholarship renewal after the first year is dependent upon successful demonstration of adequate academic progress toward career goals.
This form must be submitted by February 1, 2014. Results will be announced by March.