What is a Worship Apprentice?
A Worship Apprentice is a student who has musical gifts as well as any combination of:
- engaging in prayerful planning and preparation for worship
- exploring liturgical leadership
- making use of drama in worship
- invigorating worship through the visual arts or dance
- supporting worship through technology
- showing hospitality
- working with teams and administering worship related projects
Worship Apprentices will have opportunities to plan, lead and take part in Chapel, LOFT and more. Apprentices will work as a team, supporting and encouraging each other, in addition to serving alone in various capacities.
Who may apply to be a Worship Apprentice?
Any current student wishing to develop or explore his or her leadership gifts and interests within the context of worship may apply. Applications are due by February 18, 2015, and selections are made before spring break.
What time commitment is needed?
- Worship apprentices must arrive two weeks before school starts for mandatory on-campus training. The training will be equal parts learning, working, and team building. It will include at least the following:
- Introduction to Reformed Worship
- Practice in worship leading skills
- Group dynamics and team-building
In addition, there will be other opportunities for ongoing training throughout the year.
- basic office work (photocopying, music, filing, e-mail, etc.)
- weekly worship planning and leading
- constant, prayerful evaluation
- monthly mentoring & coaching
- team building (recruiting, training, and spiritual leadership)
- meetings -- at least 2/week
- Worship Apprentices will be required to remain on campus for both semesters, interim, and interim break, as well as attend and assist at the Calvin Worship Symposium, held each January.
How long will apprentices serve?
Worship Apprentices will be selected to serve for one semester, with the expectation, given a positive evaluation that they will continue for additional semesters.
Is there compensation involved?
Apprentices receive an hourly wage totaling $2,400 per year or $1,200 per semester. This should free apprentices from pursuing other work during the semester.
What are the significant dates for apprentices to keep in mind?
- Application and Recommendation deadline: February 18, 2015
- Interviews: Late February - early March
- Select apprentices: Prior to Spring Break
- Year-end gatherings: May
- Training: Two weeks, late August/Early September before Fall Semester
- Calvin Symposium on Worship: late January