Saturday, April 23, 2016
As part of the Calvin 5k Spring Classic, the D&W Fresh Market School Challenge awards cash to the school with the most entries! And, students from the top five schools will be entered to win a bike. Download this information (.pdf).
5k Run/Walk: $15 students; $25 adult by April 1; $35 per adult, April 2–15.
Karen Muyskens Family Fun Run: $8 per child—children ages 3–9
School Challenge teams must register by April 15, 2016. Read on for complete registration instructions.
Who can be involved?
- Runners of all ages, young and old; fast and not-so-fast. You may include teachers, parents, grandparents or other relatives and friends to participate toward your school’s total.
- Children (ages 3–9) may register for the Karen Muyskens Family Fun Run (distances of 100 yards to ½ mile divided by age group) and still be included in the D&W School Challenge and count toward your team total. This race will take place indoors immediately following the 5k race.
Why be involved?
- To build school community
- To encourage fun and fitness among students, staff, and families
- To support Calvin’s Grand Rapids alumni network student scholarships
- To have an opportunity to win some great prizes including:
-One $250 cash prize to the school team with the most participants
-Five $350 gift cards to Village Bike Shop for students, one from each of the five schools with the most registrants (minimum of 25 total registered runners required).
Our thanks to Aspen Investment Management, Inc. and to Village Bike Shop.
-iPad, Whitecaps tickets, games, cash, gift cards, and much more
How do we start?
- Find a coordinator who will promote your school's participation. Often this is the PE teacher.
- Recruit one or two other teachers or parents to be involved to help with the details.
- Promote your team in school newsletters, Facebook pages, teacher websites, bulletin boards, etc. Schools may request posters in February.
Ideas to launch a successful challenge:
- Introduce a Runners Club where the focus is on FUN and FITNESS.
- Meet once or twice a week during noon hour.
- Students walk or run laps in the gym.
- Introduce pedometers for motivation. Have a chart to keep track of students’ steps.
- Encourage personal goals.
- Host a Hall Run where students set a course that goes through the school’s hallways.
- Host a Building Run where students set a course outside around the school building or playground.
D&W School Challenge registration
School Challenge Team participants must register for the 5k Spring Classic Run/Walk or Karen Muyskens Family Fun Run by April 15, 2016.
- All registration is online at this website.
- Select "yes" when asked if you are participating in the D&W School Challenge towards the end of the registration process.
- Select your school team from the drop-down menu.
Important dates and details
- You can add members to your team until April 15, 2016.
- Registrations must be in by April 1, 2016, to guarantee shirt sizes. After April 1, shirt sizes will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at packet pick-up.
- Everyone that registers will receive all of the 5k benefits: t-shirt, opportunity to win raffle prizes, post-race refreshments, etc.
Packet pick-up and late registration
- Friday, April 22, 2016: 4 p.m.–7p.m. at Striders, 1551 Wealthy St. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506
- Saturday, April 23, 2016: 7:15 a.m.–9 a.m., Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex, Calvin College, 3201 Burton SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Contact Lori Feenstra (616) 526-8425.
Download this information (.pdf).