Presented by the Calvin Alumni Association to recognize Calvin's outstanding faculty.
Purpose of the Award
The award is granted by the Calvin Alumni Association to honor a former (emeriti or faculty who have moved to another institution) Calvin College faculty member who has successfully and consistently integrated faith and learning in the classroom. This recipient is a master teacher, making a significant impact on Calvin students in training for a life of service in God's Kingdom.
The Basis of the Selection
- Any living, formerly full-time Calvin College faculty member is eligible for the award.
- The membership of the Calvin Alumni Association will nominate candidates for the award each year. Only Calvin alumni may nominate candidates.
- An official nomination form will be included in various issues of Spark magazine each year and will be available to alumni upon request.
- The criteria for selection consists of the following areas:
- Excellence in teaching: This professor creates in students an excitement for learning, draws them into the subject matter, and challenges their intellect;
- Spiritual impact: This professor is a Christian role model for students, nurturing faith and facilitating spiritual growth;
- Concern for students: This professor is concerned for the welfare of the students and eager to help them learn and grow;
- Lasting influence: This professor's teaching has a continuing influence on former students.
The Number of Awards
- There will be only one recipient each year.
- If, in the opinion of the selection committee, no nominee merits recommendation for the award in any given year, it is not compelled to make a recommendation.
Timetable for the Award
- Nominations for the award may be submitted at any time. The closing date for nominations for any year is October 1 of the fall preceding the year the award is given.
- The Alumni Board will review the nominations during the October Alumni Association Board meeting (usually at the end of the month).
- A recipient will be approved by the Alumni Association Board during the October session.
- The name of the recipient must be kept confidential until formal acceptance by the professor and announcement from the Alumni and Public Relations Office.
- Board members and guests are encouraged to attend the award ceremony at the Homecoming Luncheon which is held in February each year.
The Calvin Alumni Association Faith and Learning Award consists of a crystal statue designating the recipient and the date of the award. The award is presented annually at Homecoming in February.