Spring 2014 Reading Group
Coming Together in the 21st Century: The Bible's Message in an Age of Diversity by Curtiss Paul DeYoung
Faith in the twenty-first century depends on our ability to embrace the multicultural message of the Bible. – from the Introduction
This newly revised and expanded 15th anniversary edition offers readers an in-depth study of multiculturalism and diversity in Scripture. With nearly 50 percent new material, Coming Together in the 21st Century features contributions from ethnically and culturally diverse men and women who offer their unique perspectives.
Other new features of Coming Together in the 21st Century are:
- An expanded definition of diversity adding gender and class to race, culture, and ethnicity
- A roundtable on the Bible, liberation, and reconciliation with Brenda Salter-McNeil, Richard Twiss, Jean Zaru, and Allan Boesak
- A chapter addressing age, disability, sexual orientation, lifestyle, and religion as important aspects of diversity discussions
- A group reflection and action guide
Coming Together in the 21st Century is an important resource for college, university, and seminary courses on reconciliation, multicultural ministry, and biblical studies.The first ten to sign up will receive a free book. Please feel free to bring your own lunch.
When: Every other Monday from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. beginning Feb. 17, 2014.
Where: President's Conference Room, Spoelhof Center 382
- Feb. 17, chapters 1-2
- March 3, chapters 3-4
- March 17, chapters 5-6
- March 31, chapters 7-8
- April 14, chapter 9, potluck lunch
RSVP: Please RSVP by February 7 by using the RSVP form below