seminar | phil 390 | spring 2006
Syllabus and Seminar Description
Select Web-based Readings (see syllabus)
[When printing articles, it is recommended that you select the printing option that prints two article pages per printed page]
- Thomas Jay Oord, "The Love Racket: Defining Love and Agape for the Love-and-Science Research Program"
- John Milbank, "The Midwinter Sacrifice: A Sequel to 'Can Morality be Christian?'"
- John Milbank, "The Soul of Reciprocity Part One: Reciprocity Refused"
- John Milbank, "The Soul of Reciprocity Part Two: Reciprocity Granted"
- Ralph Slovenko, "Desocialization by Automobile"
- Benedict XVI, Encyclical Letter: "Deus caritas est" [Commentary by John Milbank]
- Francis Cardinal George, "Dwell in My Love: A Pastoral Letter on Racism"
- Michael Van Pelt and Richard Greydanus, "Living on the Streets: The Role of the Church in Urban Renewal"
- William Morris, News from Nowhere
- Jonathan Edwards, Charity and Its Fruits: "Love the Sum of All Virtue" and "Charity More Excellent than the Extraordinary Gifts of the Spirit"
Select Student Literature Reviews
- "The Ambiguity of Community: New Urbanism's 'Sense of Community,'" by Laura Smit
- "Intentional Christian Community," by Katie Timmermans
- "Restorative Justice and the Problems of Defining Community," by John-Harmen Valk
- "Gentrification and Displacement," by Janelle Vandergrift
- "Rethinking Urban Public Space in the Context of Democracy and Altruism," by Matt Vander Ploeg
Student Group Research Projects: Poster Presentations
These posters (in PowerPoint) represent the fruit of student groups focused on developing concrete policies and proposals that would foster community and other-regarding concern in the neighborhoods of Grand Rapids. The posters were exhibited at Grand Rapids City Hall, May 16-23, 2006.
- "Community Gardens: Connecting the Church and the City"
- "Community in Transit: An Altruistic Approach to Transportation and Community"
- "The Wealthy-Jefferson Initiative: The Business Sector"
- "West Michigan Community Design Collaboration: Connecting Students and the City"
Links and Resources
- Ruskin & Morris Web-based Lecture
- "White Papers" from the Institute for Research on Unlimited Love
- Articles from the Spiritual Capital Research Program
- Congress for the New Urbanism, including a helpful bibliography
- Ruskin Today
- The Ruskin Programme at Lancaster University, including online texts
- The William Morris Society
[Urban Altruism Home]
[©2006, James K.A. Smith]