Genres Accepted: fiction, nonfiction, poetry
An online publication of various literary genres.
Payment: Varies (see About section below)
$150 for a Story of the Week, with $500 each for the annual Top Five Stories of the Week.—$150-350 for 500-2,000 word manuscripts.—$350-1,000 for 2,000-10,000 word manuscripts.—$1,000-5,000 for book-length works, and we may offer more, depending on the length and nature of the work.—$50 minimum for each accepted poem and audio piece.
A nonprofit organization, Narrative is a free online publication dedicated to advancing the literary arts in the digital age by supporting the finest writing talent and encouraging readership around the world and across generations. They accept manuscripts of varying lengths.Narrative was named Best Online Publication by storySouth’s yearly recap of online publications and stories.
Narrative publishes a wide range of works and seems to really care about writers and the art of writing. With so many options for types of work to submit and their acceptance of simultaneous submissions, it’s worth a shot.
Hekman Availability: Not available
They only accept submissions through the online electronic submission system.
- Short stories must be between two and five pages in length, and no less than 500 and no more than 2,000 words.
- Manuscripts of 2,000 to 10,000 words can include short stories, essays, and other complete short works of nonfiction, and excerpts from longer works of fiction and nonfiction.
- Novellas and other long works that are less than book length may run between 10,000 and 40,000 words. For works of this length, please submit the first 10,000 words with a synopsis.
- Serialization of Book Length Works: For consideration for serialization, please send the first chapter and a one-page synopsis of the book.
- Poetry submissions may contain up to five poems. Your submission should give a strong sense of your style and range. We accept submissions of all poetic forms and genres.
- Reader’s Narratives may run up to 1,500 words.