Who may apply for the Van Lunen Fellows Program
We encourage you to check this informaton before you fill out the application form, as the participant fee has changed. Contact us with any questions about the following requirements.
The Van Lunen Fellows Program is open to any head* of school** who:
- Serves in a Christian school based in the historic Christian faith***.
- Desires to deepen managerial gifts needed for executive leadership of a faith-based school.
- Holds a minimum of a bachelor's degree and has been a head of school at least one full year in their current school setting before the Fellows Program begins, but no more than ten years at their current school. Heads may have more than ten years of experience if they have served in other schools.
- Fully completes the application, and completes the financial aid form related to the participant fee, if needed.
- Agrees to fully attend all three residential sessions (July 17-21, 2017; January 15-19, 2018; and July 17-20, 2018) and to participate in an online personal assessment of skills prior to the July 2017 session.
- Commits to full participation in all scheduled Fellows' activities; understands time spent away from home and work is valuable to learning; therefore, single occupancy only is required at all conferences (no spouses, etc.)
- Proposes a concrete idea for a school-based project that can lead to a tangible outcome by June 2018, with consensus of their school board chair.
- Understands that the participant fee of $3,900 is due, after acceptance, by March 31, 2017. (If financial aid is awarded, the applicant will be notified of the resulting participant fee at the time of acceptance).
- Provides two letters of recommendation: one from a professional peer, another from an officer of the school's governing board or committee.
- Pays a $100 application fee if application was received after January 9, 2017. An invoice will be sent to all applicants who applied after this date.
Notes: *This role may have a variety of titles, including executive director, superintendent or principal. Any executive leader who reports directly to a school's governing board is eligible. Assistant principals, principles in a school system that has a director or superintendent may not be eligible; please contact us with any questions.
**The school may include elementary, middle, and/or high school grades. Schools that are early childhood or preschool programs-only are not eligible.
***Historic Christian faith refers to faith traditions that are Trinitarian and hold the Nicene Creed in common. Examples include, but are not limited to, Baptist, Catholic, Christian Reformed, Episcopal, Evangelical, Lutheran, Mennonite, Eastern Orthodox, Presbyterian, Reformed, Roman Catholic, Southern Baptist, Non- or Inter-denominational.
Note: Heads of school who are accepted into the program but change schools or position, or anticipate changing before the next school year begins, may be asked to drop out of the program. (Examples include taking a position where you are no longer head of school or becoming head of an early-childhood or preschool-only program; or change from administrator of a Christian to a public school). Each case will be judged individually with prayerful consideration; the final decision will be made by the director in conjunction with the Van Lunen selection committee.