Women’s Tennis Splits Final Two Matches in Florida
Friday, March 27, 2009
ORLANDO, FL—The Calvin women’s tennis team split its final two matches of its spring trip, falling to regionally-ranked Luther 6-3 on Thursday and defeating Hunter (NY) 9-0 on Friday. The match against Luther featured a pair of regionally-ranked teams as Luther came in ranked 13th in the ITA Central Region rankings while Calvin came in ranked 15th.
Sophomore Melissa Oosterhouse (Grand Rapids Christian HS) claimed a win at No. 1 singles against Luther, winning in straight sets. Calvin’s other two points came in doubles with juniors Rachel Strikwerda (Holland Christian HS) and Jill VanVeen (Grand Rapids Christian HS) winning at No. 2 doubles and juniors Rachel DeGroot (Lombard, IL) and Elisabeth Geenen (Holland Christian HS) winning at No. 3 doubles.
Calvin returns to action on Tuesday when it travels to Hope for a 4:00 p.m. match.
Calvin 9, Hunter 0
1. Melissa Oosterhouse d.Evgeniya Kim 6-1, 6-3
2. Kaitlin Spoelhof d. Calvin Picken 6-2, 6-1
3. Elisabeth Geenen d. Anna Vagner 6-0, 6-1
4. Rachel Strikwerda d. Ericka Jaramillo 6-0, 6-1
5. Rachel DeGroot d. Linda Ravul 6-1, 6-3
6. Kelsey Bushhouse d. Stefanie Smith 6-1, 6-1
1. Oosterhouse/Spoelhof d.Monica Calungcagin/Evgeniya Kim 8-0
2. Rachel Strikwerda/Jill VanVeen d. Anna Vagner/Ericka Jaramillo 8-1
3. Michelle Busscher/Abby Belford d. Stefanie Smith/Linda Ravul 8-0