Women’s Tennis Falls to Wisconsin-Whitewater
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
ORLANDO, FL—Calvin slipped to 4-4 with a 6-3 loss to Wisconsin-Whitewater Tuesday afternoon.
Whitewater came in ranked seventh in the ITA Division III Central Region rankings while Calvin was ranked 15th in the region. Whitewater grabbed an early 2-1 lead with victories at No. 1 and No.2 doubles. Calvin’s No. 3 doubles tandem of juniors Elisabeth Geenen (Holland Christian HS) and Rachel DeGroot (Lombard, IL) did pick up an 8-6 win however. Calvin then took the top two singles flights with sophomore Melissa Oosterhouse (Grand Rapids Christian HS) winning at No. 1 singles and sophomore Kaitlin Spoelhof (Holland Christian HS) wining at No. 2 singles. Whitewater took the final four singles points however to clinch the win.
Calvin is back in action on Thursday when it faces regionally-ranked Luther at 10:30 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Wisconsin-Whitewater vs Calvin College
Mar 24, 2009 at Orlando, FL
1. Melissa Oosterhouse (CALVINW) def. Kalla Schaefer (UWWW) 7-5, 6-3
2. Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) def. Ingrid Stensvaag (UWWW) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
3. Annie Smith (UWWW) def. Elisabeth Geenen (CALVINW) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
4. Amy Siemon (UWWW) def. Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) 6-0, 6-4
5. Michelle Daciolas (UWWW) def. Michelle Busscher (CALVINW) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
6. Jenny Woyahn (UWWW) def. Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) 6-3, 6-3
1. Kalla Schaefer/Amy Siemon (UWWW) def. Melissa Oosterhouse/Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 8-3
2. Ingrid Stensvaag/Michelle Daciolas (UWWW) def. Jill VanVeen/Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) 8-5
3. Elisabeth Geenen/Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) def. Kelly Rutkowski/Kathleen Kappel (UWWW) 8-6