Women’s Tennis Defeated by Nationally-Ranked Grand Valley
Thursday, April 16, 2009
KENTWOOD—The Calvin women’s tennis team dropped a 7-2 decision to Grand Valley State University Thursday afternoon at the Gainey Courts. The Knights are now 9-6 overall. Grand Valley came into the match ranked 27th nationally in the most recent Division II ITA Top-25 rankings.
Calvin picked up both of its points in singles with sophomore Melissa Oosterhouse (Grand Rapids Christian HS) picking up an impressive 7-6, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles while junior Rachel Strikwerda (Holland Christian HS) scored a come-from-behind three-set (0-6, 7-5, 6-1) win at No. 4 singles.
Calvin is slated to return to action next Tuesday when it hosts Alma at 4:00 p.m. at the Gainey Courts.
#27 Grand Valley State University 7, Calvin College 2
1. Melissa Oosterhouse (CALVINW) def. Katelyn Schaffer (GVSUW) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. Chelsea Johnston (GVSUW) def. Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
3. Darylann Trout (GVSUW) def. Elisabeth Geenen (CALVINW) 6-1, 6-4
4. Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) def. Jackie Shipman (GVSUW) 0-6, 7-5, 6-1
5. Jaime Oppenlander (GVSUW) def. Michelle Busscher (CALVINW) 6-3, 6-0
6. Rachel Rendina (GVSUW) def. Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Chelsea Johnston/Darylann Trout (GVSUW) def. Melissa Oosterhouse/Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 8-5
2. Katelyn Schaffer/Jackie Shipman (GVSUW) def. Rachel Strikwerda/Jill VanVeen (CALVINW) 8-2
3. Jaime Oppenlander/Rachel Rendina (GVSUW) def. Rachel DeGroot/Elisabeth Geenen (CALVINW) 8-2