Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content


No comments

Women’s Soccer Team Shut Out at U. of Chicago - 21-Match Unbeaten Streak Snapped

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Posted by

Box Score

CHICAGO, IL—Over the past five years, Calvin’s trips to the University of Chicago have been unkind. In 2005, the Knights suffered a 4-0 defeat to the Maroons in the windy city and in 2007, the Knights were blanked by the same 4-0 score. On Tuesday afternoon, Chicago blanked the visiting Knights once again, this time by a 3-0 score.

The Chicago victory snapped a 21-match unbeaten streak by Calvin dating back to last year. The loss was Calvin’s first since a 2-1 overtime defeat to Wheaton (IL) on September 17, 2008. Tuesday’s match also featured a rematch of a 2008 second round NCAA III Tournament game that saw Calvin and Chicago finish in a 0-0 tie with Chicago advancing by way of a penalty kick shootout.

Calvin entered Tuesday’s match ranked 11th in the Division III Coaches Top 25 poll and 7th by the first Top 25 poll of the year.

In Tuesday’s victory, Chicago scored all three of its goals in the first half including one in the opening three minutes and a second tally in the 13th minute of play. Brooke Bontz put Chicago (4-1) on the board just 2:50 into the match on a rebound shot. Sarah Loh then sent in another rebound shot with 12:22 elapsed to give the Maroons a 2-0 lead. Allison Hegel closed out the scoring with a goal with just 21 seconds left in the first half.

Calvin picked up the pace in the second half, outshooting the Maroons 11-4 over the final 45 minutes and had an apparent goal waved off by an offsides call in the closing minutes. Calvin finished the match with a 17-13 shots at goal advantage but could not score against Chicago goalkeeper Emma Gormley who recorded seven saves and the shutout victory.

Senior Kayla Sulzer had five saves in defeat for the Knights who return to action on Saturday, hosting regional power Washington University of St. Louis at 2:00 p.m.

Posted in: Women's Soccer
No comments on "Women’s Soccer Team Shut Out at U. of Chicago - 21-Match Unbeaten Streak Snapped"