Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content


No comments

Overtime is Golden for Calvin Men’s Soccer In 4-3 Win at Kalamazoo

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Posted by

Box Score

KALAMAZOO - Calvin men’s soccer traveled to Kalamazoo on Tuesday evening looking to even the season series with the Hornets. The Knights fell to Kalamazoo 3-0 earlier this season at Zuidema Field, one of Calvin’s two conferences losses this season.

The game was back-and-forth for all 90 minutes of regulation, and after a last-minute equalizer, the Knights earned a 4-3 win in overtime, taking their second straight conference matchup in extra-time.

After being shut out in the first meeting by Kalamazoo keeper Beau Prey, Calvin got on the board early at Mackenzie Field.

Sophomore Taylor Pruis took a pass from senior Ben Honeycutt in the second minute of play and deposited the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 Calvin lead.

Unfortunately for the Knights, their lead didn’t last long as the Hornets responded just over three minutes later. Kalamazoo’s Nicholas Shabino headed in a cross into Calvin’s box to tie the game at 1-1 in the sixth minute.

The Hornets took the lead minutes later. A Kalamazoo run down the left side line resulted in a low cross across the mouth of the goal which was tapped in for a 2-1 Hornets advantage.

Seconds before halftime, junior Travis Vegter tied the game with his 24th goal of the season. Pruis won a free kick on the endline for the Knights, and sending it across like a corner kick, found Vegter at the back post for a header which found the back of the net.

Calvin owned a 14-3 shots advantage in the first half as well as a 4-0 edge in corner kicks.

The game was much more defensive in the second half. Kalamazoo was able to pull ahead in the 63rd minute, however, when the Calvin keeper was caught off his line and a shot from 40 yards out by a Hornets forward chipped the goalie and found the back of the net for a 3-2 Kalamazoo lead.

Calvin continued to pressure the Kalamazoo defense in the second half but struggled to put any threatening shots on frame.

With the clock winding down and the pace becoming more frantic, Calvin earned a throw-in in the final minute of regulation. The ball was sent into the box but then bounced out to the foot of freshman David Waterson. Waterson played the ball back into the box where it found the foot of sophomore defender Nick Groenewold who beat the keeper and slipped the ball into the back of the net to equalize the game at 3-3. The goal by Groenewold was the first of his collegiate career.

The game then headed into overtime. Less than five minutes into the first overtime period, Calvin claimed the exciting victory as sophomore Sam Hanover took a cross from junior Sean Broekhuizen and muscled it into the back of the net for a 4-3 win. The play originated off a corner kick by Pruis.

Calvin outshot the Hornets 22-6 and held a 7-1 corner kick advantage. Junior goalkeeper Andrew Claucherty made one save in net to earn the win for the Knights.

“It isn’t necessarily about creating chances but finishing them. We created them tonight, didn’t finish them like we’d like, and we had a couple of defensive lapses,” said head coach Ryan Souders. “We can talk about all the negative things but I’m just really proud of the resiliency of the guys. They picked each other up and they believed for 90-plus minutes that they could get a winning result.”
Calvin improves to 11-5-0 overall and 10-2-0 in the MIAA while the Hornets fall to 7-8-1 overall and 5-6-1 in league play.

The Knights now look forward to Saturday when they will travel to Alma to face the Scots in a 2:30 p.m. conference contest. 

Posted in: Men's Soccer
No comments on "Overtime is Golden for Calvin Men’s Soccer In 4-3 Win at Kalamazoo"