Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content


No comments

Men’s Soccer Goes Overtime to Gain 2-1 Conference Victory Over Trine

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Posted by

Box Score

By Mark DeHaan

Playing in its MIAA home opener, Calvin looked to even both its overall and conference record to .500 on the season against the Thunder of Trine. The Knights did just that, earning a thrilling 2-1 victory in overtime.

Calvin played dominant soccer from the opening kick, holding a majority of the possession and building a 16-5 shots advantage in the first half. The Knights created their first goal opportunity less than a minute into the game as sophomore Travis Vegter broke free into Trine’s defensive third. Playing one-on-one with the keeper, Vegter chipped the ball over the goalie and seemingly into the net before a Thunder defender kicked the ball off the goal line and away from danger.

Despite constant pressure from the Calvin front line, Trine struck first in the 36th minute. Thunder attacker Andre Hilson found himself wide open on the back post after some miscommunication by the Knights defense. A cross came through the box to the Trine forward, and on the bounce, Hilson volleyed the ball into the back of the net to give the Thunder the 1-0 edge.

Coming out of the break, Calvin continued to possess the ball and apply pressure on the Thunder keeper.

In the 59th minute, senior Joe Broekhuizen looked to tie the game with a strong head ball toward net, but another team save and a clear off the goal line kept Trine ahead 1-0.

Finally, with less than 15 minutes to play and a 24-9 shots advantage, Calvin tied the game on a goal by sophomore Sean Broekhuizen on a pass from freshman Sam Hanover.

With the game tied at 1-1, the clock ticked away and the game headed to overtime. Holding all the momentum, it didn’t seem like long before the Knights would take the game.

And, less than four minutes into the first overtime, Calvin did just that on a goal from Vegter.

Vegter, having put nine shots toward net during the first ninety minutes made the tenth his best as a shot from the top of the box slipped through the Trine defense and into the far post for the game winner.
The Knights, by the end of the game, held a 35-11 advantage in shots, forcing Trine keeper Chris Stewart into 13 saves.

“I loved that our guys stuck with it. We kept making the creative runs we’ve been talking about all season, and it finally paid off,” said head coach Ryan Souders. “It was good to get three points. At the end of the day, the three points are what we are after.”

Calvin now turns its attention to Saturday when it will play in the second game of a women’s-men’s soccer double header against Albion. The women’s game starts at noon while the men are slated for 2:30 p.m.

Posted in: Men's Soccer
No comments on "Men’s Soccer Goes Overtime to Gain 2-1 Conference Victory Over Trine"