The Leadership Challenge Institute exists to promote Christian Discipleship and to develop leadership skills among participants via a series of ten, one per week, evening seminars and mid-week growth support groups presented over a twelve-week period of time. Core spiritual, interpersonal, and leadership topics are presented and explored in an atmosphere of collegiality, acceptance, and participatory learning.
- Develop leadership skills and Christian discipleship.
- Create interpersonal relationships with other Calvin College students and persons from across the United States and around the world.
- Spiritual reflection and growth in the midst of God’s great creation…the rocky mountains!
- Challenging work opportunities and supportive group communities.
What We Do
Leadership Challenge Institute participants will be working a forty hour work week at Snow Mountain Ranch at a job assigned by the Director of Human Resources with input by the Program Directors. Work assignments will be made based on organizational needs and assessment of student skills (where applicable). Regardless of the position a student is assigned, they are an important member of the overall operation and success of the organization. Every housekeeper is just as important as every desk clerk, who is just as important as every food service worker, and so on.
The YMCA of the Rockies is not a "summer camp." It is an association of Christian-oriented year-round family resorts and conference centers. Every position involves some form of customer service and students can make the difference in whether or not a guest has an enjoyable stay.
Where We Work
Snow Mountain Ranch/YMCA of the Rockies is located on the Continental Divide at 9,000 feet. The 5,000 acre YMCA of the Rockies is the largest YMCA in the World serving over 2,300 guests each day. Situated near the Rocky Mountain National Park and in the midst of forest and mountains, Snow Mountain Ranch is a place of wonder and spectacular beauty! As one guest wrote, "If God took a vacation...he would be here!"
Staff optional activities are provided for all employees.
- Off-site trips include tours to Denver and throughout Colorado.
- Optional dinner and movie outings.
- Trips and dinner theaters are available for a small fee (subject to availability).
- Special on-site activities may include dances, campfires, hikes, Bible studies, etc.
All seasonal employees receive discounts on site for purchases at the Gift Shop and Grill, etc. You will also be discounted for rides, mountain bikes, etc. In addition, you may enjoy:
- Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Tennis
- Hiking, Nature Walks, Ropes Course, Horseshoes
- Indoor Climbing Wall, Indoor Swimming Pool, Weight Room
In addition to the previously mentioned activities, many functions are planned exclusively for staff. Some of the events held in the past include:
- Trips to Rodeos, Concerts and Dinner Theaters
- Shopping in Denver and Boulder
- White Water Rafting
- Interdepartmental Sports Competitions
- Contemporary Issue Groups, Devotionals, Bible Studies
- Fireside Singing, Chapel Choir, Evening Vespers, Communion