Thank you to all that were able to visit and support their student(s) in person for Family Weekend! If you were here for any of the festivities, would you take a quick survey to help us plan for next year? Please click here to begin »
As you know, Michael K. Le Roy was inaugurated as Calvin's 10th president on Saturday. If you missed it, find the inauguration ceremony online here. Check the photos galleries (for both the Roving WebCam and Alumni galleries) to see some of the action from the weekend. There are great photos also found on Facebook.
If you need to contact us, e-mail email@example.com or call 616-526-6142.
In case you missed some of the news recently, there was more information shared about the time on campus leading up to the inauguration and about Dr. Le Roy's time on campus. You can read more about the art gallery exhibition created for the inauguration that tells the history of collecting at Calvin.
And, the Calvin community shares their fond memories of former colleague and friend, business professor Margaret Edgell, who died last week after a lengthy battle with ovarian cancer.
Thanks to grant funding, computer science professors Victor Norman and Joel Adams spend their free time teaching computer programming to middle and high school students.
Order treats by the 30th!
Parents may send their student some "love" by having the parent relations team deliver a Student Treats to them during the school year. There are birthday, exam, holiday and special event treats to send for on- or off-campus students.
The next treat deadline (October 30---sorry, no exceptions!) is for the gourmet apple treat which will be delivered to students on November 5. These gourmet apples are tart, juicy apples hand-dipped in layers of fine chocolate and creamy caramel. They weigh 1.5 to 2 pounds each! There are three flavor choices: supreme, butter brickle and no nuts.
Order online now. You may also call Jen at (616) 526-6142, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (616) 526-7069. But please, do so by October 30. We cannot take any orders after this date. Thank you!
Calvin schedules two days of academic advising recess, October 23 and 24, 2012, when students are required to meet with their advisor to prepare (and be cleared) for registration. Questions? See the academic advising website or contact email@example.com.
In the midst of today’s challenging economic times, it is more important than ever for students to make good choices when preparing for a career or to attend graduate school. To encourage your son or daughter in effective career decision-making, here are some things you can recommend at each level of his or her college experience:
- Freshman year: visit the career development office to learn about the resources provided and establish a relationship with a career counselor.
- Sophomore year: conduct job shadowing experiences and/or informational interviews with professionals who are working in careers you are considering. Take career tests and review the results with a career counselor if you are unsure how your strengths, abilities and interests will translate into the world of work.
- Junior year: develop your résumé and cover letter; secure an internship or part-time job in your career field of interest using the online posting system CalvinLink.
- Senior year: meet with a career counselor in early fall to develop a plan for your job search or graduate school applications; refine your résumé and cover letter.
Professionals in the career development office are available to assist students and alumni with every aspect of the vocational planning process.
Community Dining Plan
Calvin is again offering the Community Dining Plan for off-campus students and residents of Knollcrest East and Timmer Studio apartments. The affordable and flexible options for meals will, we hope, encourage upperclass students to eat on campus regularly, and so enrich our sense of community. You can sign up for 30, 60, 100 or 150 meals a semester, good for any meal period, any day, in Commons, Knollcrest, or Uppercrust. Most plans are shareable with a friend.
Did you know about the special pricing for 2013 online programs for spring and summer? For online dual-enrollment, high school students pay only $315 per semester hour. Find out more about online programs at Calvin.
Follow the Knights from your inbox with the daily Calvin Sports Report (CSR), an e-mail bulletin for game summaries and statistics, top performances, honors and honorees, rankings and previews. Your e-mail address will be kept private for CSR use, only. Find out more and subscribe or manage your subscription here.
You might also "Like" the Calvin Game Day Facebook page. The Game Day Staff is working to promote student attendance at all Calvin sporting events. And it's working!
Find out more...
- Calvin's Social Directory | Vimeo and YouTube | Streaming videos of live/upcoming events
- Chimes, the official student newspaper of Calvin: Great stories from the weekend found here!
- WebCams on campus
- Calvin in 24 Facebook page
- This Square Inch, president's newsletter
- President Michael Le Roy Facebook fan page
- Parent questions | firstname.lastname@example.org; 616-526-6142.