As students get back from break (see pictures from the Orchestra tour to Florida), they are now looking ahead to other major events. Join us!
- Dance Guild Spring: April 12 & 13 - 8 p.m.
- Honors Convocation: April 18 - 7:30 p.m.
- Festival of Faith and Writing: April 19-21
- Calvin 5k Spring Classic: April 28 - 9 a.m.
- Engineering Senior Design Projects Night: May 5 - 4 p.m.
Carissa Verkaik was named Women's DIII Basketball Player of the Year. She led the Knights to a 28-2 overall record while scoring 19.2 points, grabbing 8.8 rebounds and shooting better than 56 percent from the floor per game. She also accumulated 13 double-double performances this year.
Sophomore Andy Krafft came within 1.1 points of claiming a national title on the three-meter board last week at NCAA III Swimming and Diving Championships. He collected his second All-America certificate of the week and the fourth of his collegiate career by taking sixth on the one-meter board.
The men’s golf team captured first place at the two-day, 36-hole Sunshine Invitational on Friday in Florida.
- Spring Exam Treat: Students will appreciate this reusable tote filled with healthy snacks and sweets. Cost is $20 (U.S.). Order deadline is May 1; delivery is May 7, 2012.
- Hugs from Home: This Calvin insulated lunch bag is adorned with festive balloons. Inside your student will find a mug with multiple tea, soup, and cocoa packets and various tasty, fun and thoughtful treats. Cost is $30 (U.S.). Order deadline is May 1; last available date for delivery is May 7, 2012.
- Pizza: This treat features a certificate for a large, two-topping pizza delivered from a favorite local pizzeria. Cost is $20 (U.S.). Order deadline is May 1; last available date for delivery is May 7, 2012.
Plan on joining President Byker and other Calvin administrators for the Breakfast for Parents of Graduates on Commencement Weekend, Saturday, May 19, at 9 a.m. Tickets ($15) are required and must be purchased in advance by May 11, 2012. The ticket order form was included in the Commencement letter mailed to parents in December or you can order online.
Academic Advising will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 24 and 25, 2012. There are no classes those days so that professors are available to meet with their advisees. Students are instructed to meet with their advisor during this time (per faculty schedule) and prepare for registration. In fact, students must meet with their assigned advisor in order to be cleared for registration.
Please do all you can to encourage your sons and daughters to take full advantage of academic advising. In addition to meeting with an advisor, academic advising days are a good time to get caught up on reading assignments, paper writing, or visit the registrar's office for questions about graduation plans. It should not be a time to leave campus for a long weekend getaway. Here is more information about academic advising services. You may also contact Dana Hebreard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sophomore physics majors Sam Van Kooten and Dan Van Noord are researching asteroids and stars through Michigan Space Grant Consortium grants.
Calvin volleyball players are teaching local middle-school girls a holistic approach to health and fitness.
Senior Fitah Rasendrahasina will take on the role of Rodolpho in the Opera Grand Rapids performance of La Boheme.
Calvin's biennial Festival of Faith and Writing encourages good writing and tough conversations about faith.
The Calvin Alumni Association's travel program is open to Calvin alumni and friends. See the complete list on the Alumni Travel site. Please note that there are informational sessions coming up for the following trips: "National Parks: American Southwest" (September 6–17, 2012), and "Pilgrimage to Israel: In the Light of Jesus" (March 11–22, 2013). Also, "A Journey to South Africa" (November 2–17, 2012), has an early-booking deadline coming up. Travel with us!
Apr. 1: Miscellaneous charges payment due (1st of each month)
Apr. 6: Good Friday; no classes
Apr. 18:Honors Convocation
Apr. 20: Tuition, room and board payment due
Apr. 24: Registration for fall 2012 semester begins
Apr. 24 & 25: Academic Advising; no classes
Save the date for the 28th Annual Senior Design Banquet and Projects Night on May 5 (more details coming soon).
If you ever have any questions, contact email@example.com (616-526-6142). Thank you for reading Calvin-Parents!