This fall the Calvin community--students, faculty and staff--will be studying Philippians together and the kick-off was at LOFT on September 12, 2010. Study groups will gather for 10 weeks, using study guides provided by the campus ministries office and books by N.T Wright and the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship. Parents are invited to follow along individually or are welcome to use these resources to lead a small group in their church, workplace or community. The campus ministries website provides links to order books and download study guides. You can also "join" us in the Chapel at LOFT by watching live on Sunday evenings at 8 p.m. when our preaching team will bring us deeper through the book. And the Calvin Symposium on Worship is focusing their worship theme on Philippians. Attend the symposium next January to join with other worshipers and leaders from around the world to grow further with Philippians. Read the news story about "All-campus Philippians."
Here are two ways that parents can always "join in" with us on campus: on the live broadcast of daily chapel services from 10:00-10:20 a.m. (EST) and the Sunday evening LOFT services online. Both of these worship opportunities are archived on Vimeo so you can watch on demand whenever you want!
From time to time, the Roving WebCam student photographers wander about Calvin's campus capturing images of people, places and events that help "tell the story" of the Calvin experience. Any time you want to see photos from Calvin, click on the photo next to the daily news message on Calvin's home page and you'll arrive at the photo galleries featured: Roving WebCam, Campus Life, Sports and Alumni.
Other cool stuff? Be sure to check WebCams that feature the action inside and out of the Spoelhof Fieldhouse Complex. You can see images from the climbing wall, the Van Noord Arena, the Huizenga Tennis and Track Center, as well as other campus views which include the Commons Lawn and the wind turbine.
Calvin College's Homecoming is now in the fall -- combined with Family Weekend -- on October 22 & 23, 2010. Some of the activities planned include the Family Weekend Banquet, tours of Grand Rapids and trolley tours of campus, lectures, a River City Improv show, the dedication of the Covenant Fine Arts Center and the Calvin Music Festival held there, Disco Bingo, Poetry Jam, Art Show, class reunions, sporting events and many more family-friendly activities. The full schedule for the weekend is found here.
Tickets for the Family Weekend Banquet are now available from the parent relations office by clicking on the "Register now >>" button on the schedule. Student Improv and Calvin Music Festival tickets are on sale from the box office.
If you have questions, please call (616) 526-6142 or e-mail email@example.com.
Student Treats are a fun and easy way to let your student know that you're thinking of them. Everybody loves to give and get treats! There are six seasonal treats and three special occasion or "anytime" treats available. Encourage and surprise your student with a delicious gourmet apple, a box of goodies at exam time, or a sweet Valentines treat.
You can order them individually or as a "Year of Treats" package (which includes a FREE birthday treat) but that offer expires on September 15. Treats may also be ordered for students who live off campus. Although treats cannot be delivered to off-campus locations, those students will receive an e-mail notification and can pick up their treat in the registrar's office. Order your treats online today!
Just a few of the recent sports headlines include:
- Women's soccer defeats Wheaton 1-0 for first win over Thunder since 1998
- Volleyball team captures round one vs. Hope in closely-contested clash of nationally-ranked rivals
- Top-ranked men's soccer team defeats North Central 3-0
- Calvin's Carlia Canto earns MIAA Player of the Week honors in women's golf
The yellow bicycles propped against trees and stowed in bike racks around campus are Calvin's free and easy form of transportation. Also see:
- Archaeology grant funds virtual museum
- faculty profile of geology, geography and environmental studies professor James Skillen
- Two Moose Ranch in Montana: Calvin's athletic captains learned about leading
Also, see Dale Cooper's latest Calvin Institute for Christian Worship column on worship, this one on a "Declaration of Dependence" that references, among other things, a Hungarian headmaster, the Israelites and Clint Eastwood.
- "Paul’s Missionary Journeys in Turkey and the Seven Churches of Revelation," March 31 - April 12, 2011
- "River Cruise through France",” May 15 - 22, 2011, which has early-bird booking and pay-in-full incentive deadlines. A video promotion for the France trip is now available.
- “China: Past and Present,” October 24 through November 7, 2011. The Beijing "Bird's nest" Olympic stadium is pictured at right.
Sept. 7: Fall semester classes begin at 8:00 a.m.; Opening Convocation 9:50-10:50 a.m.
Sept. 13: Last day to add fulland first-half semester courses
Oct. 1: Miscellaneous charges payment due (1st of each month)
Oct. 20: Tuition, room and board payment due
Also, there are events for alumni, families and friends that happen throughout the year. Consider joining us for the following:
Sept. 17: International Alumni Chapter Dinner on campus
Sept. 21: "Bringing Heaven Down To Earth" in Holland, Mich.
Sept. 25: Calvin Alumni vs. Calvin baseball game on campus
Sept. 25: Rockies/Giants game with pre-game tailgating in Denver, Colo.
Sept. 30: Calvin Around Town at the Kroc Community Center in Grand Rapids, Mich.
Oct. 22&23: Homecoming & Family Weekend which includes 10-year, 25-year, 40-year and 45-year class reunions
Consider these other e-newsletters sent from Calvin to keep up-to-date on campus and alumni happenings:
- Calvin-Connection is sent regularly to friends and neighbors of Calvin and includes information about on-campus programs and events, and news about college-community connections.
- Calvin-Wire is sent twice a month and includes campus news releases, alumni happenings, upcoming events and photo galleries.
- Calvin-Sports is sent soon after Calvin varsity sporting events and includes all kinds of information and statistics from the world of Calvin sports.
For any Calvin e-newsletters, your e-mail address will be kept private and will never be sold.