The Sexuality Series is an ongoing program of lectures, retreats, films, book clubs and more, at Calvin that explores issues of sexuality from a Christian perspective. Launched in 2006, following the recommendations of a college task force on human sexuality and a campus climate study that revealed students’ desire for more opportunities to learn about and discuss these sensitive issues outside of class.
The series develops its own programming, collaboratively plans events with other departments and provides a schedule listing campus events related to sexuality.
Sexuality Series goals
- To help students develop a Christian approach to sexuality, gender, and relationships.
- To promote students’ physical and emotional safety, both in terms of relational health and campus climate.
- To promote chastity in singleness, dating, and marriage.
- To promote respect for all people as image-bearers of God regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- To foster space for respectful campus dialogue on sexuality topics.
- To encourage the pursuit of justice in our own lives, in the church and in the world concerning sexuality, gender, and relationships.