Improve your ACT score
Each semester, up to 40 students from designated high schools (see below) may participate in a five-week session in which Calvin students provide ACT* mentoring and tutoring assistance.
The Excel ACT Tutoring and Mentoring Program, coordinated by the offices of pre-college programs and the Service-Learning Center at Calvin College, is available to high school students from the greater Grand Rapids area.
Dates, time and location
- ACT Pre-Test - Saturday, October 10, 8 a.m.–12 noon. Located in the DeVos Communication Center, room 150. (Mandatory.)
- Orientation Dinner - Tuesday, October 13, 6 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Located at the Prince Conference Center in the Great Hall West Room. (Mandatory.) Families welcome.
- Tutoring/Mentoring - October 20–November 19, 2015, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4–5 p.m.
- Optional tutoring time from 5–5:30 p.m. is available if both tutor and student are willing and available.
- ACT Post Test - Saturday, November 21, 8 a.m.–12 noon. Located in the DeVos Communication Center, room 150. (Mandatory.)
- Celebration Dinner - Monday, November 23, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Located at the Prince Conference Center in the Great Hall West Room. Families welcome.
The enrollment fee of $40.00 is due on Thursday, October 9 by the end of the business day (5:00 p.m.)for those students who are admitted.
There has been discussions about the State of Michigan changing the requirement from the ACT to the SAT. As of now, we will remain an ACT prep program until further notice. Updates coming soon.
Areas of study
Time is dedicated to covering specific subject matters included on the ACT:
Application due date: Friday, October 9, 2015
$40 enrollment fee is due with the application form
Contact the Service-Learning Center for volunteer opportunities!
Pre-College Programs & Visits
3201 Burton St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4402
(616) 526-6749 (phone)
(616) 526-6756 (fax)