New student orientation is the process of assisting first year students in making the transition to the academic and cultural environment of Calvin College. Orientation Assistants play an integral role in this process by assisting in the running of International Passport, participating in all the orientation activities with the new students, and continuing to be supportive and positive role models throughout the school year.
- Who can apply?
Any Calvin student with the following characteristics may apply for the Orientation Assistant position:
- Has citizenship outside the US or Canada or has had significant international experience
- Has interest in and commitment to helping new students make a smooth and successful adjustment to Calvin
- Shows a willingness to exercise gifts of creativity, hospitality, and service
- Possesses general understanding of Calvin's campus environment (current or previous experience in orientation, a student organization, student leadership, or campus office is highly desirable)
- Demonstrates confidence and maturity in interpersonal relationships
- Strives to manifest Christian commitment in thought, word, and deed
- Has a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Maintains full-time student status at Calvin and fulfills the college's eligibility requirements for participation in campus activities as reflected in the Student Handbook.
- Specific responsibilities
Calvin's international orientation program is divided into International Passport (specifically for international students from Thursday, Aug. 27 through Sunday, Aug. 30), Passport III (for American and international students from Monday, Aug. 31 through Wednesday, Sept. 2), and QUEST (a fall component for all new students) from Wednesday Sept. 2 through Sept. 5. Orientation Assistants will participate in all aspects of the International Passport program and help with some aspects of Passport III, but are not involved with the Quest program.
- Spring: Orientation Assistants will attend a leadership training session in April and in addition, meet together weekly to prepare and pray for the incoming first year students.
- Summer: Orientation Assistants are NOT required to be in Grand Rapids for the summer, but will receive regular email updates which may or may not include projects to be completed.
- Fall: All Orientation Assistants will be expected to convene for the training program that begins at 12pm on Friday, Aug. 21, 2015; Housing will be available starting on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015.
- August 21-24: Off campus retreat to begin training and preparation for International Passport.
- August 24-26: Continue training and preparation on campus.
- August 24-30: Stay in Schultze-Eldersveld with new students.
- August 27- September 2: International Passport and PASSPORT III.
Note that Orientation Assistants will be very busy from August 21-September 2 and should not have other obligations or responsibilities within that time frame.
In mid-November, OA's will help set up and attend International Passport Reunion.
- What's the compensation?
Orientation Assistants will receive $300 for participating in the orientation program. Returning Orientation Assistants will also receive $300.
Applications are now being accepted!Apply now!
Steps to apply:
All application materials must be turned into Esther Kwak’s office in the Commons Annex, no later than Monday, March 23, 2015, noon (12:00pm). Applicants will only be considered once all materials, including online recommendations, are submitted.
- Complete the online application form. (click the apply button above).
- Email a formal resume in PDF form to email@example.com.
- Find two people to submit an online recommendation. Applicants are responsible for contacting their references and ensuring that the recommendation forms are submitted by noon (12:00pm), Monday, March 23.
What's the selection process?
The first stage of the selection process will be based on the submitted resume, application, and references. After reviewing these, a group of candidates will be selected to be interviewed during the week of March 23-27, 2015. Selected OA's for IP 2015 will be notified the following week.