Ensure your loans are properly disbursed (applied to your Calvin account) by completing the following steps. First, select the type of loan you've elected to receive, and then complete the corresponding steps outlined under each.
- Subsidized loans
- Won't accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours), in deferment (postponed with approval) or in your grace period.
- Unsubsidized loans
- Accrue interest while you're in school. Interest payments are not mandatory while you're in school, but any interest accrued will turn into principal once the loan is in repayment.
- Payment of the loan to your tuition, room & board account at Calvin. For a full year student, this will happen once in the fall and once in the spring.
- Promissory note
- Binding legal document that MUST be signed by the student for a student loan. It lists conditions, rights and responsibilities of borrowing and repayment. For Perkins Loans, this must be signed every year. For Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans, this must only be signed once (Master Promissory Note).
- For private loans, this is the person who will be responsible for making payments if the primary borrower becomes unable or unwilling to make payments on the loan. A parent, spouse or other relative may be a good candidate for co-signing. All of our alternative loan preferred lenders strongly suggest a co-signer in order to obtain the best interest rates and repayment terms possible.
If you discontinue your education for any reason, you must contact the office of financial aid regarding your loans. You must also complete exit loan counseling.
If you wish to reduce or cancel your loan(s) or wish to sign a paper promissory note instead of the electronic note, please contact our office.