Ensure your loans are properly disbursed (applied to your Calvin account) by completing the following steps.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
  2. In the box titled "Manage My Direct Loan", click the green "Sign In" box.
    • To log in, you will need your FSA ID, which the Department of Education provided when you completed your FAFSA. Misplaced your FSA ID? Get help at the Federal Student Aid website.
  3. Complete your Master Promissory Note
    • Click on "Complete Master Promissory Note" and follow the instructions there.
    • You will receive immediate confirmation that your Master Promissory Note has been received and accepted. Print a copy of your Master Promissory Note for your records.
  4. Complete your entrance counseling
    • Click on "Complete Entrance Counseling" and follow the instructions there.
    • Complete the entrance counseling tutorial and entrance counseling quiz. The results of your quiz will be retrieved by Calvin's Financial Aid Office.

Important terms

Subsidized loans
Won't accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours), in deferment (postponed with approval) or in your grace period.
Unsubsidized loans
Accrue interest while you're in school. Interest payments are not mandatory while you're in school, but any interest accrued will turn into principal once the loan is in repayment.
Payment of the loan to your tuition, room & board account at Calvin. For a full year student, this will happen once in the fall and once in the spring.
Promissory note
Binding legal document that MUST be signed by the student for a student loan. It lists conditions, rights and responsibilities of borrowing and repayment. Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and PLUS Loans must only be signed once (Master Promissory Note).
For private loans, this is the person who will be responsible for making payments if the primary borrower becomes unable or unwilling to make payments on the loan. A parent, spouse or other relative may be a good candidate for co-signing. All of our alternative loan preferred lenders strongly suggest a co-signer in order to obtain the best interest rates and repayment terms possible.

Leaving Calvin?

If you discontinue your education for any reason, you must contact the office of financial aid regarding your loans. You must also complete exit loan counseling.


If you wish to reduce or cancel your loan(s) or wish to sign a paper promissory note instead of the electronic note, please contact our office.