About Us

About Us banner

About the Music Department at Calvin


Mission Statement

To create and encourage a thriving artistic, student centered environment by promoting diverse musical experiences in a manner that reflects our commitment to our faith and in service to our God.

Calvin Ensemble History

  • Orchestra – December 9, 1908 (10 people in the group)
  • Band – 1920-21 (maybe earlier)
  • Oratorio – October 25, 1920 (First performance was March 22, 1921)
  • Men’s Glee Club – November 1917
  • A Capella (Capella) – 1935
  • Meistersingers – 1953
  • Women’s Chorale – 1945-47, 1965

Covenant Fine Arts Center

  • 1966-Fine Arts Center is opened and dedicated.
  • 1985- Calvin Music Department becomes a member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
  • 2009-Fine Arts Center closed for renovations.
  • 2010-Covenant Fine Arts Center reopens with added space and upgrades to the Auditorium and Recital Hall.
  • 2011-Currently 13 Full-Time Faculty, 28 Part-Time Faculty, and 8 Staff Members.