About Us

About Us banner

About the Music Department at Calvin


Music Department Statement of Purpose

The Calvin Music Department, as a teaching and learning community, aims for the development of a Christian mind with which to understand, create, and teach music. To accomplish this, the faculty addresses itself to developing musical skills, knowledge, understanding, and discernment, to the end that the richness of musical and pedagogical practices will be shaped by a Christian perspective for lives of service. Recognizing that music is a matter for Christian stewardship, service, and critique, the Music Department is committed to preparing both music majors and non-majors as listeners, performers, composers, worship leaders, scholars, and educators to serve as agents of redemption throughout the Kingdom of God.

Accreditation and Membership

Calvin College and all the programs it offers are fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Calvin is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) for its music programs.

Calvin Ensemble History

  • Orchestra – December 9, 1908 (10 people in the group)
  • Band – 1920-21 (maybe earlier)
  • Oratorio – October 25, 1920 (First performance was March 22, 1921)
  • Men’s Glee Club – November 1917
  • A Capella (Capella) – 1935
  • Meistersingers – 1953
  • Women’s Chorale – 1945-47, 1965

Covenant Fine Arts Center

  • 1966-Fine Arts Center is opened and dedicated.
  • 1985- Calvin Music Department becomes a member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
  • 2009-Fine Arts Center closed for renovations.
  • 2010-Covenant Fine Arts Center reopens with added space and upgrades to the Auditorium and Recital Hall.
  • 2011-Currently 13 Full-Time Faculty, 28 Part-Time Faculty, and 8 Staff Members.