- What is eDeals?
- How do I access eDeals?
- Who has access to eDeals?
- How do I post something to eDeals?
- How do I edit or remove something I posted?
- How can I tell if someone has responded to my ad?
- How do I purchase or inquire about something on eDeals?
- Can I receive an eDeals digest (e-mail)?
- Is eDeals moderated? What are the rules?
What is eDeals?
eDeals is an online forum similar to classified ads available to members of the Calvin community.
It can be used to:
- sell, trade or give away personal items
- sell, trade or give away textbooks
- sell vehicles
- sell real estate
- post wanted ads
- find roommates or other housing arrangements.
How do I access eDeals?
The eDeals forums are located in the Community section of the Calvin portal. Log in to https://portal.calvin.edu > hover over the Community tab > click eDeals.
You can also use this direct link: https://portal.calvin.edu/community/edeals/default.aspx
Who has access to eDeals?
eDeals is accessible to anyone who can log in to the Calvin portal. This includes deposited admitted applicants, current students, faculty, and staff. The portal/eDeals is not accessible to visitors, parents, emeriti, retirees, or alumni.
More information on who has access to which IT services
How do I post something to eDeals?
- Log in to the Calvin portal. Hover over the Community tab and click eDeals. You can also use this direct link: https://portal.calvin.edu/community/edeals/default.aspx
- First, determine which forum is appropriate for your advertisement. Please do not post the same ad in multiple forums. Duplicates may be deleted by the moderator. Click on the appropriate forum heading to enter that forum. You can also click on the appropriate forum link in the Discussions box to the left to enter the forum.
- Inside the appropriate forum, click . This is located below the forum listings, on the right side.
- Enter a brief description of your item/ad and price if applicable in the Subject field. For example, "HP Envy 14 Laptop, $700."
- In the Body field, enter the contents of your ad. Make sure to enter contact information. When your cursor is in the Body field, you will see editing options along the top mimicking the ribbon in Office 2007 (or later) applications. If you wish to attach a file or picture, make sure your cursor is in the Body field, then click the Insert tab in the Editing Tools section of the ribbon.
- Click the Save button to post your ad. You should now see your ad listed at the top of the forum.
How do I edit or remove something I posted?
If you need to edit or remove your ad, click on the subject of your ad to load it, then click at the top right corner of the ad. In the ribbon that loads along the top, you can choose to Edit Item or Delete Item.
How can I tell if someone has responded to my ad?
Ideally, your ad includes your preferred method of contact and interested persons will contact you this way. However, since eDeals is setup as a forum, it is possible for people to reply to your ad within eDeals, either to state their interest or ask you a question. There are two ways to know whether someone has responded to your ad directly:
- Each forum contains a column labeled Replies. If this column indicates that your ad has a reply, click on the subject heading for your ad to load it and you will see the reply listed below the ad.
- You have the capability to create an Alert for your ad.
- Click on the subject of your ad.
- Click at the top right corner of the ad.
- Click in the ribbon above the ad.
- In the Alert Title field, you may enter a customized title. This is the subject line of the e-mail alert you will receive. By default, it includes the subject of the ad.
- The Delivery Method is set to your Calvin e-mail by default; you have the option of using a text message instead. If you wish to receive an e-mail or text as someone replies to your ad, leave all the other options as their default settings and click OK.
- You will now receive an e-mail (or text if you chose) when someone adds a reply to your posted ad.
How do I purchase or inquire about something on eDeals?
If you find an ad of interest to you, check the content of the ad for the poster's preferred method of contact. If the poster has included contact information, please use this contact information rather than replying to the ad or using their Calvin contact information from PeopleSearch.
If the poster has neglected to include contact information, you can post a Reply to the ad within the eDeals forum, or use the PeopleSearch to see if other contact information is available. To post a Reply, click the subject of the ad to open the ad, then click at the top right corner of the ad.
Can I receive an eDeals digest (e-mail)?
Yes. The portal allows you to create Alerts that are sent as e-mail or text messages. These instructions will help you create a daily e-mail digest.
- Log in to the portal and open the eDeals forum you wish to receive updates from. If you would like updates from multiple or all forums, you will need to create an Alert for each one.
- Inside the forum, click in the box at the top.
- This will expand the ribbon. In the ribbon, click Alert Me , then click .
- The Alert Title is set to the subject of the ad by default. You may change this. The Alert Title will be the subject line of the e-mail digest you receive.
- The Delivery Method is already set to your Calvin e-mail address by default.
- In the Change Type area, select under "Only send me alerts when."
- Leave selected in the Send Alerts for These Changes area.
- In the When to Send Alerts area, select . You can also change the time of day when you will receive the digest.
Is eDeals moderated? What are the rules?
Yes. eDeals is moderated by a member of CIT. Ads that have expired are automatically removed by the system based on the date they were posted.
- Duplicate ads will be deleted.
- Ads posted in inappropriate forums will be deleted.
- Ads containing illegal or inappropriate content or language will be deleted.
- Housing ads that violate city codes will be deleted.
- Ads that have expired are automatically removed by the system based on the date they were posted. Expired ads may be re-posted.
CIT does not assume any responsibility for any of the items posted or any exchanges between posters/buyers/sellers. We offer no warranty or guarantee that items posted are accurately represented. We will not participate in or moderate any disputes over items or content posted on eDeals. We reserve the right to change or remove this service at any time.