Connecting to eduroam with Windows 8
Eduroam is available for current Calvin students, faculty, and staff. Visitors, parents, conference attendees, and other guests of the college, please use the Guest network.
The best way to connect your computer to eduroam is to connect to the wireless_setup_instructions network, open an Internet browser, refresh the page, and follow the instructions from there. This wizard will load a tool that will configure the wireless network for you.
If you are having difficulty using the wireless setup instructions, you may use the instructions below to manually connect your computer to eduroam:
- Click on the wireless indicator icon in your system tray (usually the bottom right corner)
- A list of available wireless networks will load on the right side of your screen. Click once on eduroam. Check the connect automatically option and click the Connect button.
- You should be prompted to login. Enter your full Calvin e-mail address and your Calvin passphrase (students: firstname.lastname@example.org; faculty/staff: email@example.com).
The Domain will fill in automatically. Click OK.
- After entering your login credentials, you may be presented with a message asking you to verify the server's identity. Click the Connect button to proceed.
- It should now connect to the eduroam network. However you must add two additional settings that Windows does not configure automatically. Right click on the eduroam network in the wifi networks list and choose "view connection properties" (if you no longer see the list of wifi networks, click on the icon in your system tray to open the list).
- You should see a dialogue box like the one below. Make sure the settings match and click the Settings button.
- In the EAP Properties box, you will need to check the "connect to these servers..." option and enter the server radius.calvin.edu. In the Trusted Root Certification Authorities list scroll down to GlobalSign Root CA and check this option.
- Click OK in both dialogue boxes to save these settings.
- You should now be connected to eduroam.
Please bring your computer to the HelpDesk (basement of the Hekman Library)
for assistance available 8:00AM - 4:30PM Monday - Friday.