WiFi @ Calvin
Calvin provides four different ways to connect to our wireless network:
- CalvinStudents is a secure and encrypted wireless network available only to Calvin College students. This is the preferred wireless connection for students. A Calvin username and passphrase is required.
- CalvinWireless is a secure and encrypted wireless network
available only to Calvin College faculty and staff. This is the preferred wireless connection for faculty and staff. A Calvin username and passphrase is required.
- Guest is an unsecured public wireless network available to guests.
As this Internet access is intended for campus guests, not all campus Internet services are available through guest access. Guest is available in most locations across campus. This network is unencrypted. All information is transmitted in clear text.
Connecting to CalvinWireless / CalvinStudents
All you need to connect to CalvinWireless / CalvinStudents is:
- for help connecting mobile devices, please see connecting a mobile device
- a device with a wireless card with WPA2 Enterprise a, b, g or n capability
- a PC with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, or Windows 8
- an Apple computer with Mac OS 10.7.5 (Lion) or higher
Connecting to Guest
To connect to Guest wireless, just select the network from the list of available wireless networks that your computer provides, open a web browser, and fill out the form. If you do not see Guest in your list of available networks, you are not in an area where wireless is available. More information, setup instructions, and a detailed list of available locations
NOTE: Guest wireless is unencrypted. All information is
transmitted in clear text.
For any questions or help connecting to one of these networks, please contact the CIT HelpDesk at (616) 526-8555.
If you are near one of the available wireless locations, you may experience wireless bleed from a nearby access point. That means your wireless-ready device may see a wireless network, but the signal may not be strong enough to make a reliable connection. This may also happen in some classrooms.
Responsible Use of Technology
As with any technology on campus, you are expected to adhere to Calvin's Policy on Responsible Use of Technology. In addition, please see Appendix A: Statement on Wireless Networking Devices.