- What campus-wide lists are available?
- What is "Mailman"?
- What Mailman lists are automatically available?
- How can I request a new Mailman list?
- How do I mange a Mailman listerv that I "own"?
- Faculty and staff members are automatically subscribed to Calvin News, Calvin SOS, and CIT Alert.
- Students are automatically subscribed to Student News and Student Alert.
- All of these lists are archived.
Calvin News comes out at least once a day and is intended for general news items related to Calvin College faculty and staff. To have a message posted to Calvin News, send an email to email@example.com (Plain Text only).
Student News comes out at least once a day and is intended for general news items related to Calvin College students. This list is managed by Student Life. To have a message posted to Student News, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Plain Text only).
Calvin SOS comes out only when necessary to notify the Calvin community of items which are of an emergency nature only. Examples of appropriate messages are deaths and weather warnings.
CIT Alert / Student Alert comes out only when necessary to alert faculty, staff and students computer or telecommunication outages, planned outages or other problems. CIT manages this list.
What is Mailman?
"Mailman" is a web itegrated mailing list (listserv) software that CIT uses for creating and managing mailing lists. Mailman supports list archiving, moderation, pain text and HTML, sending attachments, etc. If you are the owner/moderator of a list, you can login to Mailman and use it to manage your list.
What lists are automatically available?
CIT currently manages two types of Mailman lists that are automatically created and populated:
All Calvin semester courses (each section of each course) have a Mailman mailing list. The instructor(s) and all students enrolled in a course are included on its mailing list. By default, only members of a class can send and receive emails via the class mailing list. You can adjust who is able to send and receive by logging into your list’s administrative settings. Combined courses do NOT have a single mailing list available; however, each section does have its own mailing list available for use.
MORE INFORMATION on how to use class mailing lists...
All Calvin advisors automatically have a Mailman mailing that can be used to communicate with their advisees. These lists are automatically populated and updated each day as students change advisors or new advisors are assigned. By default the advising lists are “moderated”, meaning that if a student/advisee sends a message to the list, the advisor will receive the contents of the message and can reply privately or approve that the message go out to the list.
MORE INFORMATION on how to use advising mailing lists...
How can I request a new Mailman list?
Please contact the HelpDesk if you would like to request a list. You will need to provide the following information:
- Suggested list name/email address
- Members (list Calvin email addresses)
- Purpose for the list (brief explanation, name of club or program)
- Sponsor (faculty advisor if the requestor is a student)
- Restrict postings to members only? (note: these settings can also be changed using Mailman once the list is created)