If the Fire Alarm sounds
- Walk to the nearest exit, closing doors between you and the fire.
- Do not use elevators.
- Assist people with disabilities with getting to the closest area of rescue assistance, which is in the stairwell area, past the fire doors.
- Notify Campus Safety or Fire Personnel if you suspect someone is trapped in the building.
- Gather outside the building at your designated assembly area and attempt to make certain all persons are accounted for. Stay at least 300 feet from the building.
- Remain outside until notified by the emergency personnel or Campus Safety.
If trapped in a room
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Place cloth material (wet if possible) around or under the door to prevent smoke from entering the room.
- Be prepared to signal to someone outside at a window or by shouting at regular intervals.
If caught in smoke
- Drop and crawl toward an exit.
- Hold your breath as much as possible.
- Breathe slowly through nose using a towel or shirt as a filter.
If forced to advance through flames
- Hold your breath
- Move quickly
- Cover your head and hair
- Keep your head down and your eyes closed as much as possible
When to use a Fire Extinguisher
- Only use an extinguisher to attempt to extinguish a small fire and only if you have been trained
- An extinguisher can be used to suppress a fire that blocks your exit from the building
- Remember PASS, the four basic steps to operating a fire extinguisher
P: Pull the pin
A: Aim the extinguisher hose at the base of the fire
S: Squeeze the lever
S: Sweep from side to side